Tripod?

Do you NORMALLY carry a tripod with you?

• Yes

Votes: 22 44.9%
  • No

Votes: 27 55.1%

• Total voters

Do'Urden's Eyes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I guess this is the right place to put this thread not too sure though..

Anyways, how many of you photographers carry a tripod around with you on picture taking adventures. I really plan on doing it sometime, it just seems like such a daunting task to lug around that thing. Id like to here from some macro do-ers as well.

Thanks guys!

I barely ever bring a tripod with me. My tripod is meant for video, it's big and heavy...and falling apart lol. Once I buy a nice tripod though, I'll probably have it with me a lot more. It's just too annoying to carry around..
A lot of times I will just keep it in my car..

It lives in the back of my car and comes with me everywhere. I use it alot. I just wish I could afford a Carbon Fiber one ... The 3021 and Gitzo ball head must weigh almost ten pounds together. I also carry a manfrotto monopod around for when I don't feel up to lugging the tripod around.

Only carry it around when I know I will use it: Early morning or at night.
The rest of the time, I have absolutely no reason to carry it around. It is a pretty heavy tripod, but it is more the room that it takes that batters me.

Yeah..I think I'm just gonna buy a nice $200 one. I've always thought it was crazy to spend that much money on a tripod, but I think it would really be worth it..

I have a bulky Manfoto. I definitely use it on all commercial shoots. I try not to use it for people shots as it is restrictive. It goes super low and super high, but being attached to a tripod sometimes does not make the cut.

Love & Bass

You can see my camera setup being held here by a different man.

My cam rarely come off my pod even though the legs of the pod are only used on the ground about 40% of the time. 20% of the time I shoot as seen in the images, 20% of the time the legs are straddling or being jammed against, a fence, tree, a rock, or etc. The other 20% is probably the amount it's dismounted all together.

I try to shoot exclusively in ISO 64 though so I guess you can imagine my reasonings. This is the price one pays from trying to get as much quality as possible out of a sensor the size of your girlfriends fingernail. :D

I carry a tripod where I can and where I know I'll be struggling to fight with available light without shake.

So far, that has been about 20% of the time, at a guess. It gets very tiring on the back to carry one around, so I only take it when I need one.

I prefer to have the tripod with me so as I can use it = rather than not have it with me and need it (Sod's Law dictates that without the tripod I will always need it, whilst with it I will never need it - seeing as never needing it means I still get shots, whilst needing it I don't I go for the option that lets me get the shots :))

If I had a monopod I think that would certainly consider leaving the tripod behind when out on certain trips where things such as landscapes are not going to be a primary interest or concern

I always have my tripod; I do a lot of macro work and panos, and a tripod is essential for both. I only hand-hold when I absolutely have to.

Well, I have three different tripods at my disposal.

My Digital innovations 9-42 inch travels with me a lot, I keep it in my brief case for the most part and sometimes attach it to my 400mm when using it as a walkaround lens. It's too small to us with a 400mm extended but it's perfect fo those laying down shots.

My Targus 11-48 inch is the predicessor to the Digital innovations one, but was replaced by the shorter fatter 9-42 for stability. However it still finds itself mounted periodically on the 400mm for walkaround use.

My MX 2000 rarely leaves the house during daylight hours, however it is always with me after dark and periodically acompanies me to work.

During general walking with shorter lenses I don't cary any of them (with the xception of to and from work then I have the brief case W/DI 9-42), but If I am going somewhere with a subject in mind I will take the MX 2000 with me.

I usually keep my tripod in the car so I can always have it. If I'm shooting outside I always carry it just in case I want to do a long exposure, pano, or infrared. When I'm shooting at a zoo or aquarium my tripod stays home.

My backpack on the other hand, goes everywhere I do.

Only if I plan on shooting past daylight times. My method of transportation is public transportation and it's a pain to lug it around on the bus/subway.

Surprisingly were all leaning more towards the "yes" end of the poll. very interesting... to me anyways lol

Most reactions

Back