Tripod

Ptyler22

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.harvardpress.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I am getting a tripod, I want a good combo between weight and sturdiness. What I found that I like is the Manfrotto 190. My only concern is that I read you want to be able to have the tripod high enough for most occasions without the center post extended because this greatly reduces sturdiness. I am 5' 10 so the 190 is only 48" so I don't think that would be high enough... Would it? What tripods do you guys use and how tall are you? Thanks alot! Oh ya and I'm looking to spend no more than $180 for tripod + head but if there's a really good one for a little more then I'd like to here about it also. Thanks again!

I use a Manfrotto 055XPROB and 322RC2 Grip Action Ballhead. Cost about $250, but solid as a rock and I love the ball head.

I'm 5' 11" and the height is about perfect for me. I wouldn't worry about using the center column on a well made tripod, especially for a few inches. It won't compromise the sturdiness of the tripod at all.

Ok, I have also looked at the 055x that looks like another option. I also found this tiltall Which has a 60" max height without the column extended and it comes with a 3 way pan head. Kinda heavy at 6lbs though, but I won't be lugging it around much

I shoot mostly outdoors, so I like the ball head. Pan head or ball head, depends on your interests and style.

I'm nearly 5'-10", have the Bogen 055XPROB legs with 322RC2 & 488RC4 heads. The only change I'd make is to get the CF/MF version.

I shoot mostly outdoors, so I like the ball head. Pan head or ball head, depends on your interests and style.

Ya I think most of my shots will be outside, mostly non action shots of all different kinds, but with the tiltall one leg detatches and converts to a monopod, so I could use that for my action shots, what kind of head do you want for panning on a monopod?

Panning a monopod is not an issue......you just swivel around. Tilting is where things get dicey...

Vince

I'm 6'2 and I have the 190XPROB. With the center extended it reaches eye level, and I don't really notice a difference in results. Also, it doesn't really bother me to bend down if I have to. I could see how this might be a problem if I was 40 years older though.

I think you will find the twist locks to be a pain after awhile (tiltall). Cam / lever locks are the way to go on tripod legs.

When figuring height remember the head will add height, if you have a battery pack that will add height as well.

And a decent sturdy tripod raising the center column is no biggie. They lock nice and tight. And with a big heavy camera and lens it may add a little additional twist, but the legs allow some twist anyway.

First I am going to suggest that you read this article.
Tripods and Ball Heads by Thom Hogan
Keep in mind you do not have to spend the kind of money that Thom does, unless you are using the kind of equipment that he does. He does however make a good point about spending a bit more money once, or spending more over time.

I would then suggest that you start by looking at the Manfrotto 055 legs. That is my set of field legs and work just fine for me. I am 6'2". Keep in mind that on top of the tripod will be a head of some type that will usually add around 4" or so. The camera will add another 4 to 6 inches to the viewfinder depending on the body and whether you have a grip or not. The 055 leg are a well known, tried and trusted set of legs throughout the photography community and probably one of the most popular legs for the value you get for the product. They easliy can last a lifetime.

There are a couple of companies that are also popular that make legs that people are fond of. One is Amvona and the other it Fesol. Both are knock off companies making either Manfrotto or Giotos sytle legs. Amvona's better legs get good reviews as do Fesol's.
Amvona 720 imagine, discover, connect.
FEISOL USA / North America - Tripods Monopods Ball Heads

You will find the feisol legs to be more expensive, but they only offer carbon fiber legs.

For a head I would suggest that for convenience you stick with the Manfrotto line as their quick release systems will be the easiset to find plates for. The RC2 style is very popular for DSLR's.

There was a really good thread a ways back where a lot of excellent alternatives to Manfrotto/Bogen were suggested. I stupidly didn't keep the link, but I bet you can find it with a bit of searching.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back