Tripods on planes

davholla

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What do people do with tripods hold or carry on? Can they survive the luggage process? Also I have some small glass containers for water photos could they survive hold well wrapped up?
Or could they be stopped by security?
(They didn't cost much in money to make but a lot of messing around)
Here is a bad photo of one of them
Water set up IMG0758

Also am I right in assuming that everyone would say never carry lens in hold luggage

I've never had an issue with tripods in checked luggage, but I tend to buy fairly good quality tripods. If you have a lower end model, it might be worth upgrading to ensure it has a fighting chance. As for the slides, I would say carry-on, but with all the idiotic "security" at airports these days, call ahead to be sure.

I have seen tripods go through security, and I have seen them pulled out of bags. I think it really depends on the head. If it looks like it can whack someone good. They are not going to let it go through. A sturdy tripod with legs retracted will be pretty strong. Even the bag gorillas (old samsonite commercials) will be hard pressed to break one. You will probably get away with a monopod that doesn't have a spike, and pack the head (except for the old Manfroto aluminum ones [I have 2], they look mean and clubbish).

Most reactions

Back