Tripods???

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by wmc1117, May 10, 2009.

1. wmc1117

wmc1117 TPF Noob!

I just recently got my first dslr, which I am really excited about but I am currently just pouring over some photography books to grasp the basics, however I feel some of the shots I want to take are going to need a tripod. Therefore, I was curious what to look for in tripods and what are some good cheap tripods because my budget was greatly depleted with the dslr purchase. Also, any thoughts on the gorillapod?

2. Josh66

Josh66 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    ...Not sure that it can really handle the weight of a DSLR. I think you're going to want a real tripod.

Tripods can get pretty expensive, but I think even a cheap one will perform better than the Gorillapod.

I like the Bogen/Manfrotto tripods, but I'm not sure exactly what your budget is. You should be able to find a decent one for around $100 though. It will certainly be better than the Gorillapod.

3. blash

blash TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Which shots are you interested in? You might be able to get away with either hand-holding with a high ISO or using a monopod, which is cheaper than a tripod.

Expect to pay $200-$300 on a decent quality tripod. Anything cheaper is most likely low-quality - you get what you pay for.

4. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I used a cheap ($50) tripod for several years. It's not ideal but it got the job done.

Whatever you get, I recommend one with a quick release plate so that you can quickly attach or detach the camera from the tripod head.

5. TUX424

TUX424 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The gorilla pod people came out with a DSLR gorilla pod that might be worth checking out. HERE

6. Do'Urden's Eyes

Do'Urden's Eyes TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i bought two cheaper tripods ($30-60) before i realized they were crap and not nearly as solid as my manfrotto 190X ProB (around 250-300). You'll end up spending more money buying into cheaper ones and then going for a decent one than you will just going straight to a decent one.

7. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Just last week I bought a Manfrotto 190 Pro tripod with nice ball head...for $20 at a garage sale :D

8. wmc1117

wmc1117 TPF Noob!

I was just curious, what qualities differentiate a good tripod versus a bad one? If anyone could provide me with some names to look into, or companies that would be great

9. ANDS!

ANDS! No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    It really depends on what you intend to use the tripod for and WHERE you will be using the tripod. If all you are doing is taking an occassional HDR photograph, and just need something to rest the dSLR on - then the cheap variety WILL suffice.

However, once you start taking that tripod out in slightly dicey weather situations, and see the thing swaying back and forth, or notice the shot is off-tilt, and no way you place the tripod will level it up - thats when you want to look at a more premium tripod solution.

For me the BEST "entry" level tripod (that has enough utility to last you for awhile) is the Manfrotto 190XDB/486RC2 Ballhead combination - about 170 bucks on Amazon, might be cheaper elsewhere. The ballhead comes with a quick release plate (not all do), and is a damn slick piece of hardware. Still kind of pricey, but you'll be hard pressed to find a better deal that last as long or is as rugged.

10. PushingTin

PushingTin TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I started off with a really cheapie tripod and i battled with the thing, everything was so tight and akward. Eventually landed giving it away and bought myself a Manfrotto 190XProb and a 222 Grip - never looked back since.

I have a gorillapod for DSLR as well but I only use that for travelling where I cant take my main tripod with me. Its good for certain applications but I would recommend it as an addition rather than a primary tripod.

11. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet...

When it comes to tripods there are at least three main characteristics;

1. Light Weight
    2. Good Stability
    3. Reasonable Price

When choosing a tripod, you can only have two of the three.

12. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

WHAT??? you are lucky!:drool: