Tripods

Ranger

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Would a tripod always have to be used when you were shooting with a 200-300mm that isnt IS to get a clear photo?

As long as the shutter speed is as fast/faster than about 1/400th

not neccesarily. it would depend on whether it is a fast lens (i.e. f2.8) and what kind of conditions you would be shooting under, and what you would be shooting. Outdoors, on a sunny day you'd probably be fine. other situations i'm not too sure.

obviously if you can't get a quick shutter speed with a decent exposure, than you won't be able to capture moving subjects, regardless of whether you have a tripod or not.

Well smyth what you say leads into Sw1tchFX's comment. A fast lens is more likely to get above the critical 1/f shutter speed needed to get a stable image hand held.

The 1/f rule basically says to keep an image reasonable you need a shutter speed of 1 / actual focal length, so for a DSLR with an APS-C sensor 1/(f x1.5).

But on a clear sunny day the sunny16 rule says f16 iso100 1/100th is the correct exposure. So drop it to f5.6 at iso100 and you're at 1/800th already even with a slow lens :)

Well, I think I may just keep on saving and in a long while get a IS. Better than wasting it on a lens I cant take nice pictures with.

IS is no substitute for a tripod. Tripods are cheaper. I have two telephoto zooms with IS and if possible, I would still rather steady myself with a tripod (or a monopod).

My standard tele has IS, and I have a tripod and a monopod .. there are uses for all of them!

BTW the reciprocal focal length rule (e.g. 400mm require 1/400 exposure time) is very vague ... it of course depends on the medium the picture is taken on (MF, 35mm or digital APS-c), and on the magnification for the final print, and on how steady your hands are.

For large scale printing or magnified crops, with 1/400 I cannot get the image really blur-free, a monopod already helps alot though (in my case)

It depends on you. Personally I'm not a big fan of tripods because it is just too much trouble to move arounf and get the angle/ shot I want. If needed I grab my monopod. I have taken clear shots with 1/70 at 200mm. You just have to breath right and have good form. What is usually better is I put it on rapid fire mode and the second frame is always clearer because there is no shake from you pushing the trigger down.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back