Trouble opening images

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by someone you know, Dec 31, 2008.

1. someone you know

someone you know TPF Noob!

I could really use some help! My wife and I took some wedding photos using a Nikon D-70 and a 512 MB Lexar Compact Flash card.

My wife was viewing and editing some of the pictures with MS Office Picture Manager and was just saving them back to the Compact flash card. (not to the PC)
    When we try to view the pictures on the PC it says "No Image Available". I think there is a difference between the file formats of the camera and the PC.
    (Using Windows XP on the PC)
    Does any one know how we might be able to retrieve these pictures?
    Thank you in advance for any help you may offer.

2. xtort-

xtort- TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    You really should use a photo editing program, not MS office junk. A pretty good and free photo editing program can be had here: http://www.gimp.org Microsoft products, for the sake of ease of use, automatically do a lot of things for you- things that you don't necessarily want it to do, like in this case.

If you post one of the files somewhere, I can take a look at it to see what was done to it, and see if it can be fixed. You can also try to download the gimp program I linked to- it can open just about any graphics file format.

Hope this helps.

3. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The files are .NEF are they?

4. xtort-

xtort- TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Nikon's raw format. I don't think office mutilated your files, you are just going to need something special to read that format, probably programs supplied with your camera.

The good news is that your images are probably OK!

5. Lostbox

Lostbox TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Firstly I would nevery save images back to the memory card, as if something does go wrong you risk loosing the original files as well. I would try transfering all the images onto the hard drive of the computer, if files are showing on the card something is on there at least.

Next back them up to a cd or DVD.

Nikons software should be available to download of their website if you have lost the disc. It may be that the file type you have saved the images in is not actually readable by your camera.

More information on what files you shot ok and re-saved them as would be a help.

Hope you get it sorted