Trouble with Canon 70-200 f2.8?

butterflygirl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.photosbymcdonald.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Anyone else have trouble with their Canon 70-200 2.8? I was super excited to get it, but now I find most of the pics I take with it are blurry, even with a higher shutter speed. What gives? I'm hoping it's just me and that I'm not used to the weight of the lens, but I don't know. Has anyone else had this problem and if you have what did you do about it?

Thanks!

Jen

Can you show us some examples with EXIF data?

How blurry? With my 70-200 f/2.8 (Sigma) I was disappointed in the sharpness. Then, I took off the cheap filter and that fixed it. But, that was a hardly noticeable blur.

First & foremost, have you tried it on a tripod, beanbag, folded towel, etc, with a shutter release, and without a filter. Take out every optical and movement variable you can before suspecting the lens. It still may be the lens, but eliminate everything else first.

I don't have any images on this computer, but I'll try and dig some up when I get home.

I will also take your suggestions with the tripod etc. But in a wedding, how can I haul a huge tripod around? I guess I could use a monopod. I'm guess I'm just a little disappointed.

I will also take your suggestions with the tripod etc. But in a wedding, how can I haul a huge tripod around? I guess I could use a monopod. I'm guess I'm just a little disappointed.
They just mean that you should use a tripod (or whatever) as a test, so that you can diagnose the problem. If you can get clear shots when it's perfectly still...then it's likely that the blur is caused by movement and a shutter speed not fast enough to freeze it.

I find most of the pics I take with it are blurry, even with a higher shutter speed.
What do you consider a higher shutter speed? At 200mm, on a crop body, you should be using a minimum of 1/320.

I don't have any images on this computer, but I'll try and dig some up when I get home.

I was disappointed in my 70-200 f/2.8L IS at first until I realized most of the blurry shots were user fault not the lens. Check your settings to see if they may be too off. Anything below 1/200 should be shot with extra attention or support. It does take a while to get use to the added weight. Your muscles just have to have time to work up the memory. Download the focus chart if you really need to know.

most of the pics I take with it are blurry, even with a higher shutter speed.

Define higher shutter speed.

1/200th of a second is not a higher shutter speed with a 200mm lens.

If you are shooting at 2.8 with it you have to remember that is a shallow DOF and if someone is moving it could be that it is just out of focus a little and not that your lens is soft. I had this problem when I first started using my sigma 70-200 2.8. I found that it was all user error because some of my pics were soft and others were sharp. Also, like others have said, keep a fast shutter when using the long end of the zoom.

Most reactions

Back