Troubled Birth (56k, work, weak stomach warning)

John E.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
After Driving for three hours I decieded to take a break and snap some pictures of cows.

Ummm, something not quite right with this Bovine.
One can see the placenta discharging from the mother

IMG_2098.jpg

After waiting a half hour and nothing happening, I go to the nearest farm houses to warn the farmers, nobody is home. :grumpy:
Finally our heroine arrives, and invites me to take pictures 8)
She ushers the cow into the barn.

IMG_2111.jpg

"Oh boy is it ever warm in here"

IMG_2119.jpg

The cowgirl leaves to gather her tools, yet the dog stays with me, he knows something is up :scratch:

IMG_2121.jpg

Wrapping a chain around the calfs hoofs.

IMG_2122.jpg

A few good yanks on the ratchet, look out! :shock:

IMG_2128.jpg

Uniting mother with calf

IMG_2136.jpg

"Ah c'mon, don't be bashfull, how about a big smile" Job well done :thumbsup:

IMG_2135.jpg

The end.

ooooo I've never seen how the cow is giving birth!!! those are amazing pictures! thank you for sharing, Cruzin!!!

what an awesome series Cruzin! it's not every day we see inside the world of a cowgirl! great shots! :thumbup:

Very cool series!! Gross but cool. Thanks for sharing, most of us wouldn't get to see anything like that :)

Great series, amazing event! :thumbup: She did an awesome job helping Mama Cow!

Thanks for posting these, glad they're doing fine. :)

This was a very lucky moment you came by, Cruzin. I like the series you made from it! To see a birth with one's own eyes is quite something! When my son did a work placement with a vet, he also witnessed the birth of a calf and came home DEEPLY impressed with it all!

May I "steal" these photos and show them on another forum that I go to (where there is much talk about farm animal births, too, even though that one is an author's forum!) ??? Please. I will say who took them and where and will not pretend it was me who saw this and took these photos. May I?

Glad you all enjoyed the series. I now have a much keener appreaciation for photojournalism. Being at the end of my memory card I just focused on capturing the events and did nothing creative. I could have spent hours there shooting had I had the time and memory. It was pretty freaky luck that I had stopped at that location and moment, and the cowgirl actually let me photograph it.

The calf (a bull) of course survived, it had been waiting to born for quite some time and thats why it was so yellow. The girl suspected that the shoulders where to wide, so I quess he just got stuck during the birthing process.

Go ahead and repost the pictures Lafoto, there is nothing there as far as artistic merit, just some good memories for me.

great job cruzin....would have loved to have seen that in person...especially when the baby got up...and momma started licking him..and cleaning him....that is a sweet time.. i have helped deliver calves before...you cant watch it and not be moved..(or should i say moooved?) sorry..couldnt resist.

great timing on your part....!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back