Troubled Man

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by amoki, Jun 18, 2005.

1. amoki

amoki TPF Noob!

[​IMG]

Just seems like the right theme for the picture :lol: . Dunno whether I have overcropped the picture to bring out the light/shadow contrast.

2. mentos_007

mentos_007 The Freshmaker!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I like the blurred bottom part of the photo, because it looks like you were hidden and took a picture. I also like the light on the mans' back. But I'd crop a bit on the left, to crop the tree which partly is composed into the picture and a part of it is outside the composition.

3. amoki

amoki TPF Noob!

Point taken. I intended to give a "frame" look to the picture - notice that the picture is between 2 trees. Then again, the subject is not centered... so yes, great advice :D

BTW - it is taken from quite a distance away, using a 75-300mm lense. The subject was not aware of me shooting at him since 1) His face is not in, therefore I wouldn't have to ask permission from him so as not to violate his privacy and 2) once he is told he would be shot at he wouldn't behave naturally. I took the shot from above a hill, sort of a "hidden" position.

The subject was actually in sport gear. I persumed he had just finished jogging, but the shadow was just right, and his forward posture looked as if he was thinking... a little bit troubled :D

[​IMG]

4. Hertz van Rental

Hertz van Rental TPF Noob!

Crop the unsightly shadow off the foreground of the second shot - it's competing for attention. You should find that improves things a lot.

5. DramaDork626

DramaDork626 TPF Noob!

I think the sunny weather takes from the mood of the piece. Maybe it would look better in BnW. But I like the angle and the concept

6. kilifila66

kilifila66 TPF Noob!

My take, crop the first picture even more to remove the tree on the left and bring the focus to the bench, the man, and the light to dark contrast in the background. I am all about detail, DON'T expand the shot, bring it in. I am saying it again, (and it won't be the last time), if you think you have the shot, move closer. Good work on this one, if you do choose to go black and white with it, (which would be cool), play with the contrast so you don't loose the feel of the shot.