Truly amazing photography...

Sharkbait

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.whitesharkphoto.com
landing01_L2.jpg

14 January 2005
This raw image was returned by the ESA Huygens DISR camera after the probe descended through the atmosphere of Titan. It shows the surface of Titan with ice blocks strewn around. The size and distance of the blocks will be determined when the image is properly processed.

Cassini-Huygens touched down on Titan, one of Saturn's moons. Wow...

yep. i've been keeping up with this all day; another historic moment!

Wow :) So cool.

Did you hear about the new thing their doing? Something about putting a hole in a meteor (?) to analyze it. I guess itll land on July 4th of this year.

It reminds me of a movie I cant think of the name for.

photong said:

Did you hear about the new thing their doing? Something about putting a hole in a meteor (?) to analyze it. I guess itll land on July 4th of this year.

The Big Rock That They Accidentally Split In Two, Half Of Which Crashed Into The Earth?

:mrgreen:

They say that if things go well they'll have those pictures converted to colour within a couple of days. If things don't go to plan, it'll be a couple of weeks.

Well... nice deapth of field, but it seems a little over-exposed in the front - oh bugga - sorry - thought I was in the critique section (hehehehehehe - I quax me up)

For a little time there, I kept referring to that project as Deep Throat...-_- what can I say, it's almost the same thing! It'll be pretty cool to see what it all looks like when they get it there.

photong, you must be thinking of Armageddon with Bruce Willis, where they have to drill a hole into the asteroid, use a nuke, yadda yadda save the world save the girl. Okay, I shouldn't be so critical, I actually liked it when it came out. If that's not it, I don't know which one you mean...

welll see here is my take on these pictures...

they are great and its a historical moment in science....but THEY LOOK EXACTLY LIKE MARS.

[/rant]

md

I noticed that too... I even tried to convert in into red colors and got the same picture as from mars :)

photong said:

It's "Deep Impact" which is also the name for the mission I believe.

anua said:
its not a meteor, its a comet :shock: :)

http://deepimpact.jpl.nasa.gov

:salute: :)

Hey thanks for reminding me! My name is on that thing! Woo hoo.

What is the Send Your Name to a Comet campaign?

This project collected over 560,000 names between May 2003 and January 2004. These names will be recorded along with many others on a disc mounted on the impactor spacecraft. Participants were able to print out personalized certificates commemorating their participation.

Yes I am a girlie geek! :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back