Trust EBay Stores?

GoM

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So, with the imminent release of the 40D, I've been beginning a search of EBay stores to find out what kind of deals are available...some packages are pretty nice ($1300-1600 including 1/2 lenses, 1GB-4GB card, assorted other goodies), but while the price is certainly nice, I'm not sure if it outweights the 'safe' conscious of buying through a store in person.

So, the two stores I'm looking at (ShopSunshine and DigitalCorp) both have very good ratings - 98.2% and 98.6%. Would you personally consider an EBay store 'safe' to buy from as opposed to regular Ebay, or stick with the much-higher prices (ie: $1600 at Henrys for just the body + 28-135) of an in-store purchase.

I had a couple bad experiences with ebay, so i don't trust it in general.

Craigslist FTW!

I bought mine from Best Buy, so I could get the 4-year 'accidental damage' warranty. It cost 1499 + 170 with the warranty. It was the 28-135 kit, which I sold the 28-135 w/ my XT.

I chose best buy because I could just drive down there and get it, and their warranty service is pretty good. I've had several things with warranties from there before, and Best Buy is super cool about just tuning them up. I can go as many times as I want and get the camera deep cleaned. (nice for me since I shoot at a dirt track)

Ebay - pay close attention to the '2 lenses' or whatever deals. Often they're crap.

Always, always, always do more research on eBay sellers than just feedback. Google is your friend. Frankly, feedback that's less than 99.9% indicates that the seller has problems too often, and even those sellers that have 99.9% feedback aren't always the best.

When I bought my Nikon D40, I ended up buying from Cameta Cameras. They have a good reputation on eBay as well as outside of it. Just like when you're figuring out which lens or which camera or which whatever you're going to buy, always, always, always do thorough research, especially when you're laying down that kind of money (unless $1500 is a drop in the bucket for you :wink:)

how I wish $1500 was a drop in the bucket ;). As a student, that's pretty much everything I got.

I agree on the research front. I also don't think, no matter how reputable the ebay store itself is, I'm going to end up going that way simply because I wouldn't be sure about it. Unless I go through a Henrys or something like that...which would be no difference (I can assume; haven't looked yet) to going in store.

Good luck GoM :) Just remember to be smart and patient about making your decisions. :)

I have bought a few used film cameras and lenses off of Ebay. But never got any new equipment thru Ebay just does not make any sense to me. You are not often going find a better deal on new equipment them from big dealers.

Yep I trust them in every way you can trust a grey market importer flogging goods for prices too good to be true. Which is to say I use them for anything that I don't ever care about making a warrenty claim on, i.e. reflector or 50mm f/1.8.

Wouldn't buy anything worth more than $300 on there new though. Camera companies, Nikon especially, keep a careful eye on what they will honour the warranties on.

I must be one of the few on here that have had almost no problems with ebay whatsoever. The couple of problems I did have were for very small, cheap items that were lost in transit. That's it.

I buy almost all of my equipment used and I usually buy from individuals, not stores. I have never had one problem. However, I did buy my Nikon D2H through ebay from Cameta. They are good. I have bought other stuff from them as well.

My wife has been selling and buying on ebay since 1999 with very, very few problems. It is all a matter of really doing some research and also, really, really read the auctions. You can usually tell if a person does not have any idea as to what they are selling. The way they word things, the terms they use that most photographers would not use, etc...

You just really have to pay attention and do your homework. Just yesterday, I won auctions on AC adapter cords for my two cameras (they are about $100 each), another Nikon SB 800 flash, a nice 50mm 1.4 lens, and a Kata camera bag. All of it was used and I got them from individuals, not stores. And I saved a lot of money over buying this stuff new.

So my experience has been very positive about ebay.

Well....while the eventual decision is ~1-2months away (still need to save a bit more), I might go with an in-store purchase for the body + lens + the other accessories I need (batteries, bag, etc) to start me up. For the sake of my conscious. However, when it comes to buying a flash, a second lens, etc, we'll see what ebay has on offer.

I have never had a problem with ebay, but always use PayPal because
1) its fast
2) its free and
3) the will insure your purchase/payment.

If you run into a problem with a sellers product, and cannot work it out with them. PayPal can deal with it and give you money back. I cannot remember their official policy, so you might check it out.

I just got a reflector from Amvona on ebay and I have to say I was very pleased. I will be getting a tripod later on, trying to get it as cheap as possible (in college).

But I wouldn't buy a camera body and probably not memory. I'd consider lenses though.

I have purchased 3 DSLR's from Cameta. One D80 had a bad sensor out of the box, they paid shipping both ways and fixed the problem right away (it was absolutely a manufacturing problem, some crud on the sensor). I highly recommend them.

I bought my initial kit from a local, but "chain" camera shop. They were within 10% of what I could find on-line. I did this just in case there was a problem - think $2500. Since then, however, I have used B&H for just about all my gear. Every parcel they send is within 3 days and packed so well, even UPS can't screw up the contents. Personally, I don't trust E-bay. Did I....yes, I did...end it with a period.

I've bought a Canon D40 ($799 Australian Dollars) and a Sony HDR-FX1 ($4999 Australian Dollars) both off ebay and without a single hitch. The hong kong retailers on eBay are brilliant and rarely ever give you any grief.

Most reactions

Back