Truth in Photoshopping

So it should not be pursued because it MIGHT not be effective? I would only take this approach to inconsequential problems.
No, because it WON'T be effective at all. Mental issues need to be treated properly by a professional and no amount of words under images will prevent them.

Let's pull the health morning off cigarettes while we're at it.
I don't know a single person who was put off by warnings on cigarette boxes.

Seriously, if you haven't lived through this issue, you literally have no idea how big this problem is.
We know how big the problem is, we're just not delusional when it comes to solving it. It's like reading somewhere that certain food causes cancer and thinking avoiding eating it will prevent cancer from affecting your kids... No, it won't.

Using makeup to enhance your looks is not comparable to starving yourself to attain a “thigh gap” that was created via Photoshop.

ETA - please don’t quote me out of context

So what you're saying is that it's okay for women to reach for an unattainable look, it's only the extent of the process you have a problem with. Who decides the limit?
Even if it does slow down one thing which i doubt, 10 more will pop up. Corsets date back to the 16th century, with the bindings so tight in some cases it took the assistance of a strong helper to tie them. Surely that couldn't have been healthy. The oriental practice of foot binding dates back a millennium and was practiced to create the idealized foot. The list goes on and on. Like prohibition in this country, people still drank, and this law will do little if anything to change feminine perceptions of the ideal image.
As to the effect on young girls you're missing what should be "the most important influence" on any child's life - the parents.

First of all, your putting words in my mouth. I don’t believe I said that at all. When people reapond with “what your saying is...” why is that always followed by their own interpretation of the original which twists the meaning?

Secondly, I don’t understand what your references to corsets etc have to do with this. Yes women, and men to some extent, have always tried to enhance their looks - I don’t think that’s news to anyone. But everyone knew everyone else was wearing corsets or makeup or whatever. Young girls looking at magazines should know the images were altered and that these models do not in reality look like that. Changing perceptions on body image and what’s attainable is not going to happen overnight. I stand by my original response that this is a step in the right direction.

And as a parent, I resent your last sentence as I never said anything was a substitute for parental guidance.

Agreed. This seems like a feel good law that isn’t really going to change anything in the real world. People will completely overlook the fact that it’s photoshopped and continue to view them as they always have.

95% of the world already knows that photos of models in advertising are heavily photoshopped. Very few people would be surprised by this, and therefore labeling it as such will have little effect.
Says the guy without an eating disorder. Let's pull the health warning off cigarettes while we're at it. :D

Seriously, if you haven't lived through this issue, you literally have no idea how big this problem is.

I work in healthcare. I see the effects of this first hand all the time.

And I’m telling you that a warning on a photo isn’t gonna fix it.

Using makeup to enhance your looks is not comparable to starving yourself to attain a “thigh gap” that was created via Photoshop.

ETA - please don’t quote me out of context

So what you're saying is that it's okay for women to reach for an unattainable look, it's only the extent of the process you have a problem with. Who decides the limit?
Even if it does slow down one thing which i doubt, 10 more will pop up. Corsets date back to the 16th century, with the bindings so tight in some cases it took the assistance of a strong helper to tie them. Surely that couldn't have been healthy. The oriental practice of foot binding dates back a millennium and was practiced to create the idealized foot. The list goes on and on. Like prohibition in this country, people still drank, and this law will do little if anything to change feminine perceptions of the ideal image.
As to the effect on young girls you're missing what should be "the most important influence" on any child's life - the parents.
Easy to say if you don't have a daughter with these issues but I can assure you that no amount of love can prevent an eating disorder.

Are you suggesting that anorexia/bulemia is the product of bad parenting?? I find this conclusion troubling and perhaps poorly thought out.

Of course not, but blaming advertising for the problem is not the solution. I have empathy for any parent dealing with teen issues, we raised 3 kids, who put a lot of gray hairs on my head. Sometimes even professional help doesn't work. We have a 30 year old that is still struggling.

Parents can though be a positive influence on their children.

Agreed. This seems like a feel good law that isn’t really going to change anything in the real world. People will completely overlook the fact that it’s photoshopped and continue to view them as they always have.

95% of the world already knows that photos of models in advertising are heavily photoshopped. Very few people would be surprised by this, and therefore labeling it as such will have little effect.
Says the guy without an eating disorder. Let's pull the health warning off cigarettes while we're at it. :D

I work in healthcare. I see the effects of this first hand all the time.

And I’m telling you that a warning on a photo isn’t gonna fix it.
A public recognition of the problem is a step in the right direction, however.

@SquarePeg and now your taking my statements out of context. I don't know you other than what I've seen posted on here. It would be presumptuous of me to make any comments on you as a parent.

As to the law, you have an opinion, I respect that. I have an alternate opinion, and i hope you would reapect that. Doesn't make either of us right or wrong, nor does it affect a law in another country.

Public recognition of any problem like this is good, but wouldn't public service announcements on the matter explaining the problem and offering help options be a better solution then a disclaimer on a photoshopped ad?

@SquarePeg and now your taking my statements out of context. I don't know you other than what I've seen posted on here. It would be presumptuous of me to make any comments on you as a parent.

As to the law, you have an opinion, I respect that. I have an alternate opinion, and i hope you would reapect that. Doesn't make either of us right or wrong, nor does it affect a law in another country.
You are an intelligent and thoughtful member of this community who I respect so I say this with all due respect- your post unequivocally states that warnings are not needed if folks are good parents.

Perhaps this is not what you meant to say – but it is what you typed.

Last edited:

Public recognition of any problem like this is good, but wouldn't public service announcements on the matter explaining the problem and offering help options be a better solution then a disclaimer on a photoshopped ad?
Respectfully, in my opinion we need both- why feel I need to choose one or the other? I find this thread to be so discouraging that I believe I shall unsubscribe from this particular issue and wish you all a fine Sunday. Be well

Measures like this on their own won't change much; but the concept is that you have several measures of a similar type for a combined effort.

For smoking they don't just put nasty photos onto packs; they don't just reduce advertising on them; they don't just put out commercials on TV for help-quit kits etc.... The individual elements are small, but combined they present a unified approach toward changing attitudes.

So yes this measure is one small step; it might be one of many little steps that adds up to a combined series of factors that helps engage real change.

You are and intelligent and thoughtful member of this community who I respect so I say this with all due respect- your post unequivocally states that warnings are not needed if folks are good parents.

Perhaps this is not what you meant to say – but it is what you typed.

No I did not say this, from my first post "As to the effect on young girls you're missing what should be "the most important influence" on any child's life - the parents." Parents should always strive to be the influence that counts in their child's life. Sometimes even that fails given the worldly influences around them, but it doesn't mean they shouldn't try.

I agree with it. But not just for modeling. So many companies use altered photo's to make their products look better or provided better results than they actually do. And to me that's false advertising. Epsecially these weight loss (you name it) where they show these overweight / out of shape people, and then with them lean, fit, and trim. When in reality they paid fit people to get fat. And just reversed the order of the pictures!

Does the law by chance state how large and how visible the disclaimer is required to be? If not it will be in 0.1 point black text on a black portion of the photograph.

For what it's worth I also believe that it's a nonsense law. One that serves only to put a law on the books to make people think the lawmakers are doing something.

Most reactions

Back