Truth in Photoshopping

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by Ysarex, Sep 30, 2017.

1. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    They already covered that - from the same article "In 2015, it passed a law aimed at banning the hiring of models deemed "excessively thin," reports The Fashion Law. Models who want to work in the country must get a doctor's note affirming a healthy body mass index. Italy, Spain and Israel have passed similar legislation."

• Like Like x 2
  2. Tomasko

Tomasko No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    @smoke665 , you don't need to be "excessively thin". Thinner than average works usually quite well too. So instead of hiring average women (which seems what most proponents are hoping for), they will just hire more skinny models and be more picky about who they choose.
    You see, people don't want to see "average" models. They want to see hot, healthy, attractive people. Advertisers will deliver, simple as that.

3. smoke665

Photos OK to edit
    @Tomasko the problem is it will be a doctor who decides what the "healthy" body will be. If their doctors are like those in the states, that could be a wide variance.

4. vintagesnaps

vintagesnaps Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thursday night turn on Lifetime and take a look at Project Runway. Things are changing, this type thing might be a step along the way and maybe there will more and better changes down the road.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Braineack

Braineack Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    that whole model thing is why I stopped watch it.

the producers also made that plus-sized girl win last season even though she was awful.

too contrived for me.

6. waday

waday Do one thing every day that scares you Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Few items that I found interesting (and quite sad) from the article:
    • Nearly 1% of France's population has an eating disorder (assuming 600k people and a current population of ~66.9 million people)
    • Nearly 10% of Americans have suffered from an eating disorder at some point in their lives (assuming 30 million people and a current population of ~323 million people)
    • "Seventy percent of girls ages 10 to 18 report that they define perfect body image based on what they see in magazines," Katherine Record, deputy director with the Massachusetts Health Policy Commission, told NPR in 2015

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. pixmedic

pixmedic The Mustached Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    if its anything like doctors here in the US, people will just check doctors until they find one willing to give them what they want.
    if you can pay in cash and they dont have to bother with insurance, many doctors here will pretty much give you a very wide berth on what they will prescribe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. waday

waday Do one thing every day that scares you Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I really wish I could find the article I read several years ago that went into detail with how brands specifically attempt to hook children so that when they grow up, they have brand loyalty. It was from the perspective of clothing designers, but it really could be relative to any company.

Advertisers apparently spend $12 billion (let me rephrase that, $12,000,000,000) annually, and children view around 40,000 commercials every year (reference).

From same reference, interesting quote: "Several studies, for example, have found that parent–child conflicts occur commonly when parents deny their children's product purchase requests that were precipitated by advertising."

(If you've already quoted this, sorry!)

• Like Like x 2
  9. smoke665

Photos OK to edit
    Maybe, but something I read the other day, makes me wonder if it's the model's that are changing. If you look at the "ideal" female figure over the last 100 years, except for the Twiggy years, models have for the most part looked healthy. However if you look at the CDC, BMI for women in this country, it has increased from 24.9 in 1960 to 26.5 present day. (Rehabs.com) data claims that in 1975 there was only about an 8% difference in total body weight between the average female and the average model, but today that spread has increased to 23% difference. So yes while there's a substantial difference in the weights of the models and the average woman, there's also been a substantial difference in the weight of the average woman. A BMI of 26.5 puts the average woman at slightly overweight. So I have to wonder who's actually changing the most?

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. limr

limr Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    "However if you look at the CDC, BMI for women in this country, it has increased from 24.9 in 1960 to 26.5 present day."

That's a 6-7% difference between the average size. The same website reports that

"1975 there was only about an 8% difference in total body weight between the average female and the average model, but today that spread has increased to 23% difference."

That's a 15% difference.

The discrepancy is increasing faster that average size. That means the models are changing.

"Addiction and eating disorder recovery site Rehabs.com worked with digital marketing agency Fractl on a project looking at the origins of Body Mass Index (BMI) measurements, and how the bodies of ideal women have compared to national averages over time. And their findings show that models and movie stars are getting smaller than the average American woman at unprecedented rates."
    It's Amazing How Much The 'Perfect Body' Has Changed In 100 Years | HuffPost

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. vintagesnaps

vintagesnaps Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Why I mentioned Project Runway (for the second time I realized) was because this season they're using models of various sizes, which seems to be one effort to head in a positive direction.

(Braineack, you stopped watching because of the models? what about them? The producers made the plus size girl win?? You're a couple of seasons behind but I had to look it up to remember. That young woman and all the contestants were judged on the designs sent down the runway for the finale by, you know, the judges seated there... who apparently often have a lengthy discussion not seen on the show, and don't always pick what I would, but then I don't have a background in fashion to be an expert.)

12. Dave442

Dave442 No longer a newbie, moving up!

It will be interesting to see how the French publications handle this over the next few months. There is an interesting article at Strategies.fr that mentions a need for Slow Photography - for good photographers with the equipment and time to set up to produce aesthetic images. The new law might create more demand for good photographers, but it will probably create a bigger demand for plastic surgeons.

I would think the publishing house lawyers want the the disclaimer placed on every single image.