Try this picture out

i bought a set of reflectors from Ebay for $75. i got 3 5-in-1 reflectors (32", 43", and a 43"x60" oval). they all have gold, silver, black, white and translucent reflectors. the frames have the translucent and the outer "sleeve" has the other 4. you just unzip the outer part and reverse it to change reflectors, or use the frame with the translucent by itself to diffuse the light.

i found the link to the seller i went through, and it looks like the price went up $5. at $80, its probably still a good deal. if you dont want all 3, theres a lot of other sellers with single 5-in-1 reflectors in various sizes for sale too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SET-of-3-5-in-1...6526193QQihZ012QQcategoryZ30082QQcmdZViewItem

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
What an adorable family! You could improve the first shot with a tight vertical crop. It will be much easier to focus on the subjects, rather than all the grass, houses, etc. The bumble bee shot seems out-of-focus to me.

If you're farmilliar with your aperture control try lowering it (opening it). This will give you less depth of field and will blur out the background slightly which will direct more attention to the subject of the photo (the people in the portrait). An in-focus distracting background usually isn't the best thing when dealing with portraits.

If you're not familiar with aperture settings and such yet, don't worry. You're doing fine. You'll learn all about that stuff in your upcoming classes.

I agree and would look into opening your aperture to the lowest setting. It will make you 'pop' from the image. Great photos!

Looked up the Manual (pg 42) and it says to rotate the mode knob to A for Aperture Priority mode. Then turn the command dial to your preferred Aperture setting. The setting can be viewed through the viewfinder. Your aperture number will be preceeded with an 'f', so it will look something like this: f5.6.

I believe the D40x has a portrait program selection on the mode dial like my D80. Try using this setting if you haven't already. In the Portrait mode it tries to use the lowest Aperture setting possible depending on the light available.

Hope this is helpful!

I absolutely love the D80. I have a lot to learn b/c it is beyond my capabilities but I love the challenge - and the photos I'm getting!

Most reactions

Back