Trying Again!

RoseBud

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, different light placement. Is this better? I am shooting in a lil tiny room that is around 10x15 ft. I have my lights turned down all the way and am using an umbrella and was still blowing out. So I covered my light with a pillow case. :blushing: I know, high tech, right?

Anyway, looking at this photo, I think that i should have used a reflector. I also feel that though the color is warm, it almost looks a bit orange.

photo1.jpg

Suggestions, CC, Ideas?

Its a big soft and a little flat. I did a real quick edit. Simple little curves adjustment and unsharp mask is all

3202209255_d395e22329_o.jpg

It's a pleasing image, but it is a little flat in contrast. The subject and the background need more separation, either through selective focus or contrast.

I agree a reflector would have been useful, and you could use a gray card or piece of white paper to set a proper white balance.

Not sure what settings you have the camera on - are you using high ISO? Even in a room as small as yours I wouldn't expect to have to turn the lights down that much. Also, be careful putting a pillow case on the lights - it could be a fire hazard!

Nigel

I say great idea with the pillow cases! (but as Nigel mentioned, be careful of fire!) I see three main problems right away. First, is the subjects hair. Try not to let stray hair fall on the arm or stick out of the head. Second is the lack of reflector or possibly a small fill light. (All ready mentioned by you). Third and lastly is the subjects left arm. When shooting in this pose be sure to have the fingers of the hand pointed towards the camera. This turns the arm and slims it down for a more pleasing profile.

Yeah the color is off, easy fix. Yeah the shirt is too similar with the background, however this may not be the case once the WB is fixed.

-Nick

Here is a quick edit with the colors that Photoshop suggested. I also did some skin edits, blurred the background, and some other minor burning and doding:

(Still some problems in my version, notably the eye colors are a bit off.)

photo1edityy6.jpg

In my opinion, the color balance is better on the model. Am not sure on the background, I might like the original color better. Still may be a little soft on the focus too, but on a shot like this I tend to like a softer focus. Maybe a little unsharp mask. Take it for what it's worth, I am by no means a pro. All in all, I think it's a very good and flattering shot.

Most reactions

Back