Trying for a vintage look for a town pamphlet

stsinner

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
How did I do?

Thanks for the comments. Before you squash me like a bug, I know that the late-model cars are killing my intention...

10_08_2009_2517copper.jpg

10_07_2009_2454s.jpg

I like the first one, but second one, I think the tilt is to over exaggerated.

The second one is in Highlight Heaven. However, if you crop out the sky, which is over exagerrating the exposure, I think you'll find the picture more pleasing.

The second one, the tilt kills it. Reorienting it my head makes it look better.

As for vintage - how "vintage". We talking turn of the century (last centuries turn, not this centuries turn which is. . .**** you know what I'm talking about), or the 60/70's - maybe the 40's/50's?

You could always spend $27 on a Holga.

As for "vintage," my checklist would include
1. Vignetting (probably uneven/nonround)
2a. Color modifications (play with saturation, clarity, white balance)
2b. Black and white modifications (perhaps a subtle toning- this sepia treatment seems way too heavy. I usually use a barely noticeable yellow tint to warm things up)
3. If you really want to get crazy, you can pretty easily simulate damage in Photoshop, or even add a fake film-style border (as someone who shoots real film, I think this is lame, but plenty of people do it).

The issues I see with this are pretty severe overexposure in both and too much toner simulation for my taste. I would try shooting in more subdued light and/or adding a circular polarizer to the bag. As for the toning/processing, I would try something a little more subtle (maybe a color shift/desatuated color image would get the point across?).

Most reactions

Back