Trying new things. Would like your opinions please! C&C

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by matt62485, Jan 29, 2010.

1. matt62485

matt62485 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Ok don't be afraid to let me have it. Trying a few new things, and going outside of the box on a few of these. Not sure if I totally like them or not. #1 I do like though.

Stopped at a spot on the way home from work I thought looked interesting and took a few

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    I think the way you are playing the foregrounds against the backgrounds in these shots shows a lot of promise. My favorite is the bridge with the old pilings as the foreground, and then the tree with bridge in the background. I like the idea of the sternwheeler in the background, seen against the foreground of the old,rusty boilers or whatever they are, but think the background size is too small, due to too short of a focal length used to take the photo; I would like to see the sternwheeler rendered larger, by shooting with a longer lens, from farther away, with enough DOF to pull focus on the foreground. One thing I do think is successful is allowing the colors to go blueish and twilight-y....for me, that works!

That is a really cool-looking old house design! it looks like they built a garage/shop at ground level with the living quarters upstairs, and situated the house right on the edge of a little swale in the ground--a neat-looking design,really. I'm not really feelin' the Lensbaby-type effect on the OOF edge of the left side of the picture, but the sepia toning looks wonderful. It looks like the transition from in-focus to out of focus on the right hand side is a bit too abrupt, and was done in PS.

Overall, I think you're "making photographs" here, and not just "taking pictures". It's pretty obvious that there are choices being made: point of view, cropping, toning,etc.

3. jackieclayton

jackieclayton TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i love #1!!! the composition is great and i love the pp!! not crazy about the others, i think because i'm not drawn to what you've taken a picture of... they are all good though, you look as if you're experimenting some creativity... i like it. good job!

4. djrichie28

djrichie28 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Comment for #1. I like this image. I would think it would be really cool if you filled the frame with the structure. With an exposure and sepia tone as this was done, it would be nice to see all the edge details of the old house. Well done.

5. srinaldo86

srinaldo86 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    #1 is absolutely awesome! Did you edit it at all?

EDIT: Stupid question. I can tell now.

6. Ron Evers

Ron Evers Been spending a lot of time on here!

In the country just north of Toronto, Canada
    Photos OK to edit
    I like #1,3 & 4 but mostly #1. With #1 I would have shifted the camera a bit to the left to move the subject a bit more to centre as the space to the right is not interesting.

7. matt62485

matt62485 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    hey thanks a ton. wow, i wasnt expecting this kind of feedback but i truely appreciate it. #1, some of the DOF was in PS, ill play w/ it some more and try to make it better.

I'll also go back to the sternwheeler and take the shot again w/ my 55-200 and see what i can do. this spot is minutes from my house and i just found it :lol:

thanks a lot! :D

thanks! the others i know what you mean, but this was part of my "trying new things", i kinda of wanted to tie the foreground w/in the background and still it all be in focus without being overwhelming or distracting. quite difficult to say the least.

thanks a lot :thumbup:

thanks a lot. i actually have a couple more i took, one from down low with it filling the frame, ill tinker with it and post it later!

thanks!

lol i appreciate it. definitely edited :mrgreen:

thanks. i got one w/ it more in center. i kinda wanted a little of the woods flowing in the background. i didnt want it to look like an old house that i had to crop the background out bc it didnt go w/ the theme, bc its actually surrounded by woods :lol:

ill play around w/ some of the others i took. thanks!

8. matt62485

matt62485 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    overboard on the PP here, but oh well

[​IMG]

9. javafriek

javafriek TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I loved the first shot and the last of the old house, bravo. I hope to be taking shots like that sometime soon as I'm learning. Btw what is PP?

10. mrmacedonian

mrmacedonian TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have to agree with everyone and say that #1 is great! The subject matter is awesome and as Derrel said you are definitely conveying your intentions and decisions in these shots, good work!

I've also gotta say i find myself starring at #3 for quite a while. The texture of and colors of the structure are really giving me a surreal feeling; i can almost see as a structure found in any number of today's super-realistic first person shooters.. maybe i've been playing call of duty('s) to much :p

11. MisplacedAngler

MisplacedAngler TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I like them all. The only things I would change is on the picture with the big metal sea junk, I'd like to see the one with the barnacles close up in the foreground instead of the other one. This may not even be possible with what you have to work with. On the one with the tree and the bridge, the tree and the bridge seem to fight each other for the main subject. Maybe if it was taken from a slightly different angle the tree wouldn't block the bridge so much.

12. BuS_RiDeR

BuS_RiDeR No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I like them. Good work IMHO.