Trying new things. Would like your opinions please! C&C

matt62485

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok don't be afraid to let me have it. Trying a few new things, and going outside of the box on a few of these. Not sure if I totally like them or not. #1 I do like though.

Stopped at a spot on the way home from work I thought looked interesting and took a few

4314116771_4a48a7c25a_b.jpg

4314116777_a9338cffd6_b.jpg

4314116785_2bef1ebb2d_b.jpg

4314116801_bf4de55420_b.jpg

4314116805_a54cf19cd5_b.jpg

I think the way you are playing the foregrounds against the backgrounds in these shots shows a lot of promise. My favorite is the bridge with the old pilings as the foreground, and then the tree with bridge in the background. I like the idea of the sternwheeler in the background, seen against the foreground of the old,rusty boilers or whatever they are, but think the background size is too small, due to too short of a focal length used to take the photo; I would like to see the sternwheeler rendered larger, by shooting with a longer lens, from farther away, with enough DOF to pull focus on the foreground. One thing I do think is successful is allowing the colors to go blueish and twilight-y....for me, that works!

That is a really cool-looking old house design! it looks like they built a garage/shop at ground level with the living quarters upstairs, and situated the house right on the edge of a little swale in the ground--a neat-looking design,really. I'm not really feelin' the Lensbaby-type effect on the OOF edge of the left side of the picture, but the sepia toning looks wonderful. It looks like the transition from in-focus to out of focus on the right hand side is a bit too abrupt, and was done in PS.

Overall, I think you're "making photographs" here, and not just "taking pictures". It's pretty obvious that there are choices being made: point of view, cropping, toning,etc.

i love #1!!! the composition is great and i love the pp!! not crazy about the others, i think because i'm not drawn to what you've taken a picture of... they are all good though, you look as if you're experimenting some creativity... i like it. good job!

Comment for #1. I like this image. I would think it would be really cool if you filled the frame with the structure. With an exposure and sepia tone as this was done, it would be nice to see all the edge details of the old house. Well done.

#1 is absolutely awesome! Did you edit it at all?

EDIT: Stupid question. I can tell now.

I like #1,3 & 4 but mostly #1. With #1 I would have shifted the camera a bit to the left to move the subject a bit more to centre as the space to the right is not interesting.

I think the way you are playing the foregrounds against the backgrounds in these shots shows a lot of promise. My favorite is the bridge with the old pilings as the foreground, and then the tree with bridge in the background. I like the idea of the sternwheeler in the background, seen against the foreground of the old,rusty boilers or whatever they are, but think the background size is too small, due to too short of a focal length used to take the photo; I would like to see the sternwheeler rendered larger, by shooting with a longer lens, from farther away, with enough DOF to pull focus on the foreground. One thing I do think is successful is allowing the colors to go blueish and twilight-y....for me, that works!

That is a really cool-looking old house design! it looks like they built a garage/shop at ground level with the living quarters upstairs, and situated the house right on the edge of a little swale in the ground--a neat-looking design,really. I'm not really feelin' the Lensbaby-type effect on the OOF edge of the left side of the picture, but the sepia toning looks wonderful. It looks like the transition from in-focus to out of focus on the right hand side is a bit too abrupt, and was done in PS.

Overall, I think you're "making photographs" here, and not just "taking pictures". It's pretty obvious that there are choices being made: point of view, cropping, toning,etc.

hey thanks a ton. wow, i wasnt expecting this kind of feedback but i truely appreciate it. #1, some of the DOF was in PS, ill play w/ it some more and try to make it better.

I'll also go back to the sternwheeler and take the shot again w/ my 55-200 and see what i can do. this spot is minutes from my house and i just found it :lol:

thanks a lot! :D

i love #1!!! the composition is great and i love the pp!! not crazy about the others, i think because i'm not drawn to what you've taken a picture of... they are all good though, you look as if you're experimenting some creativity... i like it. good job!

thanks! the others i know what you mean, but this was part of my "trying new things", i kinda of wanted to tie the foreground w/in the background and still it all be in focus without being overwhelming or distracting. quite difficult to say the least.

thanks a lot :thumbup:

Comment for #1. I like this image. I would think it would be really cool if you filled the frame with the structure. With an exposure and sepia tone as this was done, it would be nice to see all the edge details of the old house. Well done.

thanks a lot. i actually have a couple more i took, one from down low with it filling the frame, ill tinker with it and post it later!

thanks!

#1 is absolutely awesome! Did you edit it at all?

EDIT: Stupid question. I can tell now.

lol i appreciate it. definitely edited :mrgreen:

I like #1,3 & 4 but mostly #1. With #1 I would have shifted the camera a bit to the left to move the subject a bit more to centre as the space to the right is not interesting.

thanks. i got one w/ it more in center. i kinda wanted a little of the woods flowing in the background. i didnt want it to look like an old house that i had to crop the background out bc it didnt go w/ the theme, bc its actually surrounded by woods :lol:

ill play around w/ some of the others i took. thanks!

I loved the first shot and the last of the old house, bravo. I hope to be taking shots like that sometime soon as I'm learning. Btw what is PP?

I have to agree with everyone and say that #1 is great! The subject matter is awesome and as Derrel said you are definitely conveying your intentions and decisions in these shots, good work!

I've also gotta say i find myself starring at #3 for quite a while. The texture of and colors of the structure are really giving me a surreal feeling; i can almost see as a structure found in any number of today's super-realistic first person shooters.. maybe i've been playing call of duty('s) to much :p

I like them all. The only things I would change is on the picture with the big metal sea junk, I'd like to see the one with the barnacles close up in the foreground instead of the other one. This may not even be possible with what you have to work with. On the one with the tree and the bridge, the tree and the bridge seem to fight each other for the main subject. Maybe if it was taken from a slightly different angle the tree wouldn't block the bridge so much.

Im really liking 1 2 and 3, but the PP focus needs work in 1, but thats just my opinion ;).

I loved the first shot and the last of the old house, bravo. I hope to be taking shots like that sometime soon as I'm learning. Btw what is PP?

thanks a lot! glad you like em. PP = Post Processing. :D

I have to agree with everyone and say that #1 is great! The subject matter is awesome and as Derrel said you are definitely conveying your intentions and decisions in these shots, good work!

I've also gotta say i find myself starring at #3 for quite a while. The texture of and colors of the structure are really giving me a surreal feeling; i can almost see as a structure found in any number of today's super-realistic first person shooters.. maybe i've been playing call of duty('s) to much :p

Appreciate it! I got an idea for a shot w/ this house but I got to wait til the weather is right and I'lll go back :mrgreen:

#3 is eery, I think it's my second favorite :confused: does like kinda surreal

I like them all. The only things I would change is on the picture with the big metal sea junk, I'd like to see the one with the barnacles close up in the foreground instead of the other one. This may not even be possible with what you have to work with. On the one with the tree and the bridge, the tree and the bridge seem to fight each other for the main subject. Maybe if it was taken from a slightly different angle the tree wouldn't block the bridge so much.

thanks. i plan to go back w/ old clothes on. i was pretty much standing in a marsh w/ my good clothes on and i wasnt too keen on getting down on my knee to get a better angle lol. i see what you saying though, ill try it sometime.

honestly, the tree/bridge shot... i was trying down a 4 lane highway on the way home and i always see this bridge but im too scared to pull off the road and get out for a shot... im worried someone will run off the road and clip me. i looked up in my mirror and there was no traffic for about 1/2 mile. so i abrubtly stopped, pulled out my camera leaned over into the passenger seat and shot out the window. i needed to back up about 10 feet but didnt wanna to risk the incoming traffic to even get remotely close before i got up to speed. wasnt worth risking a wreck ya know.

thanks a lot for your CC!

I like them. Good work IMHO.

:mrgreen: thanks!

Im really liking 1 2 and 3, but the PP focus needs work in 1, but thats just my opinion ;).

Awesome, glad you like em. Appreciate it.

And you're right about #1. It looked fine in PP, but once uploaded to flickr and I fullscreen res'd it... I could see it needed work.

Here's another edit I did of a slightly more exposed version. Didnt come out quite to same but nevertheless I think the focus is a little better.

thoughts?

4316409942_116d5eb391_b.jpg

any comments on the re-work or more on the originals? last bump!

Most reactions

Back