Trying out new trick

ga_shooter

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I shot these attempting to use a high speed film and intentional overexposure to get a soft grainy result. Feed back would be helpful! (Yes, you need not try to clean your screen, she has cheese crackers all over her face...)
1339379356_361b81370f.jpg

1339384440_fd0538bbb6.jpg

1338488305_8df71a51b6.jpg

#3s my favorite. They dont look grainy to me at all. They have alot of detail, you can see every little hair on her head. Her expression is great!
And I like the warm color and feel.

Great job!

Ya I really agree with the guy above me I really like number 3 and her expression, I think it is a really good photo and not really grainy. I also really like how just her face is in focus and everything else is out of focus.

I like #2 best. The balance you've achieved between blowing out the shot and normal exposure is great. Looks as though he is in a sea of light!

As to a soft grainy effect, try Alien Skin's exposure. It has nice effects for B&W and Color film.

I often do the grainy 'film' look with 1600 or 'H' - which is 3200 on my 30D. You get a more grainy look when you have natural light that's diffused or not too bright-. Maybe try this again in a not so bright area in the home -further away from direct window light, but still facing the window. The high speed should get you enough light and see how you like the grain, but keep those catchlights in the eyes too. If you convert to b&w, you will see the grain more and see more emotion that goes with the grain.
Good work. Keep it up!

If you don't need a high ISO to get the exposure, then don't use it. Digital noise is not the same as film grain. It's not really all that flattering, and it actually degrades the image. You can easily add grain or noise during post production to get the look you want.

Most reactions

Back