Trying out the new lens...C&C welcome

d40bby

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I ordered a 50mm 1.8 for my camera because I had wanted a lens that would allow me to shoot indoors with low light without a flash (I plan on visiting museums and other attractions soon that don't allow flash)

The last few days have been quite fun playing around with it and seeing what it can do that my kit lens could not. I love how sharp it is, and how it grabs light with such a large aperture indoors.

The one thing that I feel like I have struggled with is the manual focus on my D40. I realize that it will just take some practice, but so far that has been the hardest thing to get used to.

I LOVE the small DOF you can accomplish with it, but at the same time it makes focusing on certain subjects tricky.

I'm posting a few shots I took with it, the indoor portraits were 2 of the ones I was satisfied with as far as focus, but I wanted to see what you guys thought...Maybe offer some tips for focusing at large aperture settings :) I also realize that there is some slight noise in them...I was shooting at ISO 800...any lower and I was having to drop the shutter speed too low and I was trying to avoid the flash.

I posted a couple others that I liked (the flower was easy enough to focus on, and the 4th shot was taken with autofocus on a D90 that I was trying)

3515027564_7ea5eb9396.jpg

3515026220_71022e13ac.jpg

3514217763_b5cd46e447.jpg

3515027066_31b039842d.jpg

I got that lens last week and it's almost not come off the body since then. I think the focus ring is smooth and forgiving enough that manual focus shouldn't be too difficult but I imagine it's certainly not convenient. Great shots though, and beautiful model (especially #4).

Thanks for the feedback! I like 4 best also because the lighting was better, and because I was able to autofocus lol...

I'm hoping that I can teach myself to manual focus and get similar results...that's the only thing that worries me thus far! It's good to hear that the first 2 were decent enough!

I like the vividness in #1 and the softer color in #4 The pale blue dress, and washed out bricks.

I am getting a 50mm 1.8 too. I can't wait till it arrives Wednesday!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back