TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
quok1mb0.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
taylor1.jpg

taylor.jpg

let me know what I could do to improve and all that kind of stuff...

Camera-Nikon D50
Lense-Tamron 70-300F/4-5.6
no flash natural daylight...

any helps would be highly appreciated!!

i like the second way better than the first. the first one seems super plain to me, but i think this is all great if its your first attempt with people

yeah its my first attempt...most of my photography i have tried is advertising and art...you can see all of that in my deviant art...but that makes me feel good you are telling me its a great start! :)

people are a different animal, and it may take you a while to figure out how to work with them, and how to get them to work with you

Well I like both pics. I find the backgrounds in both very interesting and it brings the whole photo together. Great job!

Actually A portrait should be about the person, thats to me is why it's called a protrait. For a portrait the background in number one is distracting to me and I think it should have been cropped verticle since people generally have verticle lines (no marc not always). Generally speaking I think the crop should follow the subject...

Number two is much better that way and I don't know how you could have done differently but there seems to be is a really strong line that is cutting his body in almost halves.

The approach is very good and the critique is just technical stuff. And trust me I probably am going against what everyone else here thinks. But that's just my opinion. I think my 2cents is worth about .0001 cent in todays market.

Remember the rule of thirds when framing your subject.. the first picture could have been slightly better if like mysteryscribe said, it was a verticle shot. also... if you can help it, try not to keep the person dead on in the middle of the frame too. Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_thirds for a few examples of what I'm talking about (I'm sure you may already know this, but this is for the people who don't :) )

"In addition, many photographers recommend treating any "rule" of composition as more of a guideline, since pleasing photographs can often be made while ignoring one or more such rules."

verticle portrait rule of thirds... note not tick tack toe board..

3rdqj9.jpg

horizontal portrait
3rdkp5.jpg

horizontal group

3rdqj1.jpg

Now forget all this and do it the way you want but this is typical portrait cropping..

Dont let centering throw you in verticle it is okay to center right to left long but not up and down. reverse with horizontal you can center up and down not right to left. Like i said now toss this and do what you want. One good think to remember the tighter the crop on the real subject the easier the composition is to figure out.

i love the drawings....and I appreciate all of the comments I am getting I am taking his girlfriend out sometime soon and I am shooting her for her senior portraits...I will try out some new things and yeah...it should be another fun learning experience just like this one was....and maybe i will take a notepad with me and make sure i get everything! :)

Thanks again everyone!

Your thread has been moved to the Portraits Gallery since it does not follow the Critique Gallery guidelines.
You may post one image or variations of it per thread in the Critique Gallery.

I like the captures. Both are good documentaries (snapshots to document a touring trip or a birthday party), but I don't qualify them as portraits in the truest sense of the word.

Most reactions

Back