Trying something new for me.

ronlane

What's next?
Reaction score
Website
www.lane-images.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I went to a local photo conference here in OKC this weekend. Tried some new genre's for me. They had a wedding bridal shoot in the presidential suite, I'm still processing them. But they also had a pop-up box for small product photography. It was constant light and I took a couple while standing there with a friend. Here is one of them.

My c&c for it, I needed to be a little more directly in front of it and with a little more depth of field. Anything else that you see?

f2.8 photocon-12-2-Edit.jpg

Well, a bit more DOF would have been nice, since it would have pulled the argus brand sticker into better focus. The thing is when photographing cameras is the lens...it sticks out, and you GOT the visible lens f/stops and branding/model nomenclature in-focus, and to me, that really is a biggie, especially on a C3. I've owned two of these iconic bricks...and that 50mm f/3.5 Cintar is...really a big thing to the C3 user. Getting the lens in focus on this camera is helpful. Over the years, I have snapped a number of camera/lens photos, and it's surprising how much DOF it actually takes if the shot is made on an angle like this...you can stop down to f/11, and that's often not enough...last camera/lens shot I did was a big Nikon and a short lens on it, I went alllll the way stopped down on my Tamron 90mm....turns out I needed that much DOF. I think that getting the front of the lens and the right side in-focus is the better course, rather than throwing the focus backward a bit and then ending up having the lens be protruding and obviously OOF.

I always like seeing the ole' C3...it's like a John Deere Model M to me...iconic/Americana.

Thanks Derrel. I will admit to only slightly thinking about DOF on this one. (why I bumped it up to 5.0, I don't know.) It was fun to have the pop-up box for this shot, I should have spent some more time there shooting with it.

I'm not real experienced in product photography, but I also feel like more DOF would be an improvement. Or being perpendicular to it would have made it easier to have the left side in focus as well.

But it sounds like you've already realized these things ...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back