Trying to Achieve an "Underworld" effect....

|)\/8

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
New image posted on 6/16/10 in post #14. Thanks for looking!

Trying to achieve an "Underworld" effect. I am open to any suggestions.

IMG_2380_s.jpg

IMG_2380_uw_s.jpg

Last edited:
Not pale enough on the skin.

Different. :)

As for some CC. I think you have to many props. The drink, apple and snake just seems like a lot going on. Also the apple by itself does not fit. It stands out more then anything else in the image with the deep red. What does a vampire want with an apple anyway :)

The lighting looks pretty good. The cold blue tint works well with the theme.

As for some CC. I think you have to many props. The drink, apple and snake just seems like a lot going on. Also the apple by itself does not fit. It stands out more then anything else in the image with the deep red. What does a vampire want with an apple anyway :)

The models had props and wanted to use them, but I agree there are too many. I have also considered toning down the the red color to draw less attention to those objects. Ultimately it will be up to the models and what they want, they have just requested an "Underworld" (something I am not all that familiar with) type PP and I am trying to "fine tune" the look and my process.

Thanks for the input.

The models had props and wanted to use them, but I agree there are too many. I have also considered toning down the the red color to draw less attention to those objects. Ultimately it will be up to the models and what they want, they have just requested an "Underworld" (something I am not all that familiar with) type PP and I am trying to "fine tune" the look and my process.

Thanks for the input.

In the end if that is what the customer wants then they deserve to have it. :thumbup:

It kinda' looks like you used a blue tint on everything and that was the extent of the PP. I'd have made them more pale, and used some shadow/highlight reconstruction to deepen the lines in their faces. My biggest issue is honestly the guy on the left's head. It's just chopped off. They all look very cramped together and unnatural. (Like, why would a group of people ever stand that way?) And the two guys are completely expressionless, the women have fine facial expressions, but the guys are just sort of looking at you.

The first thing that my eye was drawn to was the apple, sadly it would appear that the apple was one of those wooden decorative center piece types. I may be wrong, but if it is a fake apple I would spring for a real apple in order to allow the eye to view and move on.

I think the blue tint in the second shot undoes the ground you made with the models make up. To me it's lost in the bule tint. Might get some of it back with less contrast possibly.

I like the shot otherwise though and don't think there is anything so far gone that it can't be tweaked in to get the desired effect you were looking for.

Thanks for Sharing.

Looks too busy to me. I would ditch the apple... no clue why there is an apple there haha

To get that "Underworld" effect you need to keep it in the cool range of colors so a red apple... not the best of ideas. I would stick to maybe one or 2 cups of blood(keep there colors dark as well and not bright red).

I would also suggest trying to get everyone's full head in the frame as well. Positioning of the bodies seems too posed, I would think you would like something that looks a little more natural, maybe have someone more towards the back? Just play with it till you find the right composition. I would also not make the skin look that blue either, just tone that back a little bit.

I don't claim to the a pro by any means but I have seen the movies a few times and know how I would try and shoot it to get that effect or look. O O and maybe a drip of blood from one from one of the girls lips? Just some suggestions :) you are off to a good start though!

love the shot. the apple with the snake kinda bring a neat little thing to the picture.. but the snake is really easy to miss, kinda small. i think the blue kinda kills it on the 2nd one... doesnt look as scary just cold maybe if you just use a blue filter on the skin tones and leave the clothing normal colors or just try to pale the skin a litte. and the red clip at the top left could be cloned out

just watched the new "wolfman" movie and i swear the whole movie has a nice little vignette in it. makes the movie looks spookier, along with the darker more ominous lighting

Last edited:
U have to props....maybe u should pale the skin a little more...nice touch with the apple and snake :)

i like the edit, you should pale the skin a little bit and that would be awesome.

like the use of the cold blue effect, seems to work for what your trying achieve.

Is this any closer? My main concern here is the processing to achieve the "Underworld" effect. I have not seen any of the movies, only some images, and it seems there is a grayish blue overtone with some slight color like in the lips and such. I know the image itself has other issues, but this just happens to be one I chose to mess with.

Thanks to all for you input so far!

IMG_2380_edit_s.jpg

Actually I think my problem with the shot overall is the man on the left - everyone else's expressions work for me, but he just looks like he's gassy. :) The fact that his head is cut off is also a bother.

I like the props myself, they lend themselves to the scene.

Most reactions

Back