Trying to decide on a starter Nikon DSLR

I bought a D5000 and a kit lens. VERY soon after, I bought a D7000 and a 24-70mm which is what i should've started with and saved some time buying/selling, and a few bux loss.

D7000 is entry level that will still focus most lenses, has buttons and one won't be in "menu hell" setting up each shot, and a plethora of other things mentioned in this thread over and over. Plus the viewfinder is 100% and better quality than the 5100. Glad I stepped it up.

The D7000 sounds great. Maybe by the time I save up enough for the D7000 it will have come down in price! Did you get the Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8?

B&H has a refurbished D90 and 18-105 lens for about $890. I'd go for this, but I'm still worried about the ISO capability. I shoot everything and everywhere. But I only have the built-in flash on my P500. I could get a Nikon SB400 flash or maybe another brand not too expensively. But most of my interest right now is outdoors or in ambient light. I'm still checking on this thread, so if anyone has additional advice, please add it. Thanks!

If iso performance is what ur worried about then DO NOT get the d90!! I love shooting with natural light and very rarely use flash. After owning the d90 for only 6 months I grew to hate it!!! Iso at 800 is ok as long as lighting conditions are decant but anything above that u will need to edit out the noise. I sold it just a few weeks ago and got the d7000. The iso capabilities of the d7000 surpass those of the d90 by far!!!!! And yeah sure it may have just been my " technique" but I'll you what, I no longer have a problem shooting in low light and I don't need a flash!!!!!!

p.s. It's not ALL the camera tho u will need a fast lens too. A kit lens won't cut it in many low light situations you might find yourself suck in. That's y I recommend the 35mm 1.8 or 50 1.8 since they are both pretty inexpensive.

Thanks, that was helpful. I'm sure your technique didn't change with the D7000. And I think I'd like to get one of those lenses, they're relatively inexpensive and faster than the kit lens.

After holding the D5100 in my hands at a camera store, I decided that I didn't like the position of the menu button which was an uncomfortable stretch for my left thumb. I also decided after looking through the 18-55mm lens that I would like something with more reach. I found the D7000 rather heavy (but not that much more than the D90) and besides it's price, thought the D90 was a better deal with its 18-105mm lens. It's also a little lighter. So my original question about whether it made sense to get a D5100 with the 18-105mm lens, I've decided is no. I think I am going to get the D90, in spite of it's lower ISO, etc. The D7000 isn't going to come down in price any time soon, but in the meantime I can use the D90 and experiment with a fast prime when I can afford it. Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. It helped me think through what made sense about choosing between these Nikons for me.

After holding the D5100 in my hands at a camera store, I decided that I didn't like the position of the menu button which was an uncomfortable stretch for my left thumb. I also decided after looking through the 18-55mm lens that I would like something with more reach. I found the D7000 rather heavy (but not that much more than the D90) and besides it's price, thought the D90 was a better deal with its 18-105mm lens. It's also a little lighter. So my original question about whether it made sense to get a D5100 with the 18-105mm lens, I've decided is no. I think I am going to get the D90, in spite of it's lower ISO, etc. The D7000 isn't going to come down in price any time soon, but in the meantime I can use the D90 and experiment with a fast prime when I can afford it. Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. It helped me think through what made sense about choosing between these Nikons for me.

Sounds like you made a good decision.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back