Trying to decide what camera to buy next

KCVideo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm having trouble deciding what camera I should be using for video. I shoot video of sporting events for my university to be used on social media and on our video boards in our arenas. I have been shooting with a 70D. Which has been sufficient for my videos because even though the quality is subpar, my videos are either viewed on mobile devices or they are viewed on our huge video boards in-arena and the boards are so large and low res that it doesn't even matter. But recently I got this opportunity to go to Africa and film this little documentary and it has inspired me to upgrade my camera.

So my question is what camera should I be upgrading to. I'm asking for help because I have done an extensive amount of research and I just can't make a decision. I actually picked up a Panasonic G85 on black Friday because I got a pretty sweet deal. I got two lenses (one is worth $500 on its own), the camera, a bag, a slew of SD cards, and a bunch of other stuff for only $1000. But I'm not content and I'm thinking I should return it. For a few reasons, first of all, the pictures are okish, it feels like a downgrade from the 70D. While the video is pretty incredible, and quite the upgrade from the 70D, I feel like if I'm going to get a new camera, I should go all out and really get the best possible quality inside my budget. Also, I don't know if I can live my life in the world of M4/3. So lets say I return the G85, I've been researching what I would buy. I looked at the a6300 but I don't think I can live without a touchscreen. 90% of my job is using my 70D's servio autofocus to click on players and then it will automatically follow them on the screen and keep focus to the player I clicked on (hope that makes some sense). So without touchscreen I cant do that. So I'm looking at the a6500, but I'm hesitant for two reasons. Im worried I still wont be content with the still picture quality and I'm worried people won't take me seriously with the tiny camera (I work with lots of incompetent people who know nothing about videography). So I'm also looking at the Nikon D7500. Seems like a great camera and I like the APS-C (vs M4/3) but I'm hesitant about the video quality versus the a6500 or the G85. I have played with all of the aforementioned cameras and honestly, I miss my 70D. I've used canons since I was 10 years old and I'm just very used to them. But it doesnt seem like Canon has a competitor under $1,500. Things I "think" I need: a touchscreen, 1080p@60, 70D quality stills, and maybe 4k. Are there any cameras I missed? Also opinions on the D7500vsG85vsA6500? Should I just keep the G85? Thanks for reading my novel.

Last edited:
The A6500 will give probably better image quality than the 70d and is very highly specced for video. I'm not saying it's the best option but it's not a step back quality wise from the 70d

As an event and wedding photographer I do photography and video, my main video camera is the Sony a6300
No one judges me about the size of my video camera!!!
Sony a6300/a6500 are amazing video cameras, video follow focus is almost par with Canon dual pixel technology, image quality is better then Canon, you got 4K
Lots of people in the industry use Sony for video, from my experience more then Panasonic.

I'm having trouble deciding what camera I should be using for video. I shoot video of sporting events for my university to be used on social media and on our video boards in our arenas. I have been shooting with a 70D. Which has been sufficient for my videos because even though the quality is subpar, my videos are either viewed on mobile devices or they are viewed on our huge video boards in-arena and the boards are so large and low res that it doesn't even matter. But recently I got this opportunity to go to Africa and film this little documentary and it has inspired me to upgrade my camera.

So my question is what camera should I be upgrading to. I'm asking for help because I have done an extensive amount of research and I just can't make a decision. I actually picked up a Panasonic G85 on black Friday because I got a pretty sweet deal. I got two lenses (one is worth $500 on its own), the camera, a bag, a slew of SD cards, and a bunch of other stuff for only $1000. But I'm not content and I'm thinking I should return it. For a few reasons, first of all, the pictures are okish, it feels like a downgrade from the 70D. While the video is pretty incredible, and quite the upgrade from the 70D, I feel like if I'm going to get a new camera, I should go all out and really get the best possible quality inside my budget. Also, I don't know if I can live my life in the world of M4/3. So lets say I return the G85, I've been researching what I would buy. I looked at the a6300 but I don't think I can live without a touchscreen. 90% of my job is using my 70D's servio autofocus to click on players and then it will automatically follow them on the screen and keep focus to the player I clicked on (hope that makes some sense). So without touchscreen I cant do that. So I'm looking at the a6500, but I'm hesitant for two reasons. Im worried I still wont be content with the still picture quality and I'm worried people won't take me seriously with the tiny camera (I work with lots of incompetent people who know nothing about videography). So I'm also looking at the Nikon D7500. Seems like a great camera and I like the APS-C (vs M4/3) but I'm hesitant about the video quality versus the a6500 or the G85. I have played with all of the aforementioned cameras and honestly, I miss my 70D. I've used canons since I was 10 years old and I'm just very used to them. But it doesnt seem like Canon has a competitor under $1,500. Things I "think" I need: a touchscreen, 1080p@60, 70D quality stills, and maybe 4k. Are there any cameras I missed? Also opinions on the D7500vsG85vsA6500? Should I just keep the G85? Thanks for reading my novel.

yes, look at the Canon 80D . or 77D for video with good lens, better than sony and why most pros shoot with Canon
oh ... a tiny pocket-size camera is also nice)
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back