Trying to decide which Nikon to buy - help

igsp335

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,

New here and hoping you guys can help me out. Trying to decide between D3100 and D5000 (and only these two cameras). Video is not that important to me, so the additional benefits in video options of the D3100 do not really matter that much to me. I am most interested in picture quality.

I can get both cameras for exactly the same price.

I have done a lot of research and it seems that both cameras are excellent for their price range, but pretty much every review counts in the price factor and usually gives it to D3100 because during the reviews the D5000 is about $100-150 more than the D3100. So im curious what your thoughts are on what camera to get if the price is exactly the same.

Thanks in advance!

It will be almost impossible for you to see any difference in image quality between the 2 cameras.

As it is, image quality is mainly a function of the photographer's knowledge and skill.

The D5000 has a bit better dynamic range, but the D3100 has slightly better high ISO performance.

An independent testing lab that uses industry standard testing methods, DXO Mark, rates the D5000 as just slightly better than the D3100: DxOMark - Compare cameras side by side

Like I said at the beginning, it's doubtful you or I could see any differences in image quality.

Thanks for the reply - thats actually a great site that I have not come across before! :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back