Trying to do my balls justice

stsinner

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I thought my wife had a creative idea putting my balls in a huge bowl, but I can't seem to get a really creative shot with them.. This day the sun was very bright, so I put my Christmas balls on the floor and shot them at weird angles in extremely bright sunlight..

ChristmasBalls2_AS_-2_tonemapped.jpg

I thought my wife had a creative idea putting my balls in a huge bowl

I'm afraid to say she wasn't thinking photography. Just sayin'.

All kidding aside, you might try for isolation somehow. Capture the subject in either a completely white or a completely black background (I'd go for the latter first). Your composition is pretty good, but visualize that composition (with the whole bowl in frame, you clip a little), with a few of the balls 'escaping' across the right of the frame, and, instead of the background, complete darkness/black.

Also get your lights lower and off to the left and right. Those things will reflect and bringing your lighting lower will show off the texture the balls create when stacked on top of one other.

Thanks, rufus. It's good to see you giving my balls such thoughtful comment.. I'll try that advice. I just got some black material I was going to use as a background.

I think you should dump the balls out on the floor and take a photo that way. Like at the same level as them...does that make sense?

Or maybe try and put them in a glass thats not so fish-bowl like. Maybe a christmas bowl, or a white ceramic one.

If you had your wife step on your balls and break them, that might be a interesting picture. :)

Your balls just sorta get lost in the background, I agree with Rufus, maybe try it on a solid color, or you could put your balls on a piece of wood.

holy maturity has left this thread. there some really ugly light glaring off your balls try defusing the light source if you can. it also looks like your focus is all messered. so to recape you have to focus more on your shiny balls.

Taking a time-lapse shot of your balls getting broken would be cool. Like the bullet through the apple thing. (and yes, I'm being serious... all innuendo aside)

I think you mean high speed photography,... the other way.

I only have one ball and it smells fishy! Quarter Rez:
one-ball-qtr-rez_0379.jpg

-Shea

All I can say is, "Good Lord".

Go with the white background. Let the bowl lay on its' side and have some spill out.

Good Lord, too many jokes...must fight it...

-Nick

Most reactions

New Topics

Back