Trying to Figure Out What to Do

TylerF

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So lately I have been thinking of how to go about getting more serious with my photography and have been trying to figure out what actions I should take. I have been thinking of taking all my photos off of facebook and flickr and organizing them into different portfolios (music, portraits, misc.) and then saving them for when i get a legit website. but i feel if i do this, my photos wont be seen. Any suggestions?

... you could always water mark you images *kinda like if you get a trial version of a pp thing and all the photo's you save have the water mark all over them* and leave them on your flickr and face book, so people can still see them possibly. ( just a thought, not sure why you'd want to take them off, but i am assuming so people dont take them?)

and then you can still do what ever you want to your photos.. like websites, portfolios?

Go with Smugmug, great service, professional appearance, yet it is still easy enough to share with consumers/family/friends.

So lately I have been thinking of how to go about getting more serious with my photography and have been trying to figure out what actions I should take.

Take more pictures!

Are you thinking of specializing in any given genre? Take more pictures in that genre.

Thanks bitter, i was hoping someone like you would see this lol. at the moment, i am trying to figure out my niche. I was into live music, but it's getting boring. I kind of want to do some nude/glamour shots. I like people so i want something with people in it haha.

I think the nude or budiour side of photograph is extremely hard for a male to break into. Mostly because any male horn do can go out and buy a bottom dweller SLR and call themself a photographer. Women need to feel comfortable with you and the need to know that you just aren't trying to get them naked. I am 24 and I have been married for 3 years now. Women should have no reason to feel uncomfortable around me but I would never imagine a nude business taking off for me. May I ask your age Tyler?

Thanks bitter, i was hoping someone like you would see this lol. at the moment, i am trying to figure out my niche. I was into live music, but it's getting boring. I kind of want to do some nude/glamour shots. I like people so i want something with people in it haha.

Do it. :)

hey.. what about wordpress blog site?

I kind of want to do some nude/glamour shots. I like people so i want something with people in it haha.

if you're anywhere as pissed as you look in your avatar....lighten up.

Best is to figure out what you like to shoot and specialize in it.

There's a ton of jack-of-all-trades photographers at a dime a dozen who are pretty much a master-of-none.

i have a photoblog, or did lol. dont remember it.

im very easy going and fun to be around lol. i am 20 so thats why i havent tried any kind of nude shots. mainly because most girls would prolly see me as a guy who wants them naked. which isnt true lol

I just did a shoot with this nice young lady I met through Facebook and honestly after the whole thing was done she was kind of relieved. It was like her 2nd time doing any modeling but she said this to me " your a super cool dude, Im going to be honest and say that I told my roommate who I was with and where I was going just in case I didnt come back ha! but now I know I was being silly" We did a sort of high fashion shoot. So with that said. Good luck getting em to go NUDE.
O by the way we wherent total strangers we hang out with the same people and would see each other at gatherings and she was still thinking i was a weirdo.

And it seems that typically, most women don't pay to have nudes of themselves. The photographers pay them to model nude.

unless its for a gift for their husbands or something lol. idk i still have a lot of shooting to do to figure out what i like best

Honestly, find yourself before you worry about going pro.

A good photographer has all of the following:
-Unique personality that would give the clients a reason to come back
-Photos that are as expressive as you are
-A style that regardless of the challenge remains true to the artist

This all sounds reasonably simple, however I can promise you that none of this will stay the same for you. It is a constant struggle and takes a lot of work.

For me, I actually have an image consultant that helps me dress myself. This sounds silly but when someone is looking to hire me they get a full package, I have a look that is very unique to me and that sets me apart from every other person out there. Granted I don't pay the image consultant because they owe me for when I shot for them for free (always plan ahead I say ^_-). As far as personality, I work very hard but I am also very outgoing and joke around a lot. I also have a business plan that dictates how to go through every meeting with a potential client, and actually my girlfriend didn't know about this until last night when she happened to read it. She looked at me and just said, "Wow, I'm so proud of you. I never even realized how much went into this."

There is a lot that goes into going pro, but bite off what you can chew first. If you still need to improve your photography than worry about that. There is a point where you are good enough to start getting paid gigs, and at this point you better have your business plan ready and waiting for you because otherwise you will get yourself into situations and have to quite literally shoot from the hip with what to do.

I'm going through the process currently of getting myself out there as a pro-photographer. I'm building a portfolio that accentuates my style and preference of work, and it isn't easy. I haven't made a single dollar yet and I have much more to spend before I am close to done :x It will be about a year before I am making enough to even consider quitting my other two jobs, and I have been pushing hard to finish this up.

In closing, never do work for free. Always get something you want for the work you do. This includes friends and family, at the least require them to feed you, do your laundry, something silly but let them know that you are not their slave and require to be paid just as much as anyone else that they pay. This is something that many new photographers do and end up working so hard for no exposure and no pay.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back