Trying to get the best portraits I can..

Light is already coming from all directions bouncing in and filling shadows in nicely.

Not typically a good thing without modifying it.

The sun is a big ... light source; it really isn't going to produce HARD shadows...

Ummm.... big light source... not producing hard shadows...
It always has here in Illinois.

- Pete

There are always qualifiers. However in this situation with the OP, the advice here just doesn't fit. If the OP really wants to know whether or not the nailed luminosity, just open the histogram. And if they want to soften the shadows, just pop open a reflector. I'm not knocking anyones advice, however it seems like a solution looking for a problem.

I'm not knocking anyones advice...

Oh... nor am I.

There seems to be some confusion between adequate light/proper exposure and proper lighting of portraits.

Lighting for portraiture is more complex than merely getting good exposure. OP says he is "Trying to get the best portraits I can.." Let's get him thinking about portrait lighting and not just good exposure.

– Pete

Hi guys,

Thank you again for all the feedback. Today I bought a copy of Understanding exposure the revised edition and I will read the entire thing. For right now, the last bunch of portraits were fine and my sister had them along with some pictures my friend photographer took of her put onto a comp card. I will be shooting with her again soon as always.

Right now I am starting to think about my senior project. I would like it to include some fashion like photography with my friends as models. I will be shooting in nyc a lot to get that atmosphere that I desire. I probably won't have anything to post about those for a while, but I will definitely be taking more portraits soon. A lot of my friends want to be my next test subjects. :)

Oh and thanks for the tip about the reflector. I will be making one soon!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back