trying to learn

mkedre

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am new to the forum but am excited to have joined. I have always loved photography but now I really want to learn more than before. I have an Olympus D-510 Zoom Digital Camera and a Fuji 35mm point and shoot. What I would like to do is buy a manual SLR so I can really learn what cameras can do, nothing automatic! I think that's how I'll really learn and understand. My question to anyone who can help me is what is a good camera to get started with? I've never owned an SLR so I would like some help based on experiences. Also, any info on lenses would be great, too. I'm willing to buy used. In fact I've looked around on e-bay but I'm just not sure what to look for. I would appreciate any input! Thanks!

Welcome to the forum.

E-bay is a great resource for camera gear. Especially old manual gear. If you go the E-bay route, look for a complete kit that includes two or three lenses and a flash.

If you can, I suggest finding a local camera store that sells used gear. You can look at and try out different cameras and find one that you like.

As far a camera brands...I'm a Canon guy so I'd suggest something like a Canon AE-1. There are lots manual Canon SLR cameras and lenses available.

Nikon is usually pretty good too. Pentax also had a pretty good manual SLR...K-1000 or something like that.

A few good books will be really helpful too. Again, E-bay or a used camera shop can be you best friend.

I'd also suggest that you get a fast prime lens with whatever camera you get. Something like a 50mm F1.8.

Good luck and feel free to ask lots of questions here.

I'm a 'newbie' to both the forum & photography. so i think i know where you're coming from. 2yrs ago i bought a nikon coolpix 2000 and that opened up a whole new world to me. So i 'rescued' a praktica BC1 from my brother (well, he wasn't using it !), It was ok, but i wanted something a little more versatile so i got a Nikon F90x which is quite simple to use. I've found trial and error helps me to learn, as well as 2 magazines a month, trips to the library & late nights on the internet !!! my technical skills are coming on slowly. I think the main factor is to buy something that your comfortable with, if you can afford something like a D70/D100 etc. then that will give you the benefit of imediacy with the 'trial and error' route and quality when using automatic settings. as for Ebay, out of the 3 cameras, 6 lenses & countless filters I have bought everything but the praktica, 2 lenses and the coolpix from there with no problems (quick, where's the wood ???!!!!) but make sure you price match with your local dealer and don't forget to look at the postage.
Best of look. PS just cos it has automatic doesn't mean you have to use it , I very rarely do with mine

I concur with the AE-1 suggestion, I bought one years ago to learn manual and to photograph paintball games (didn't want to risk my Elan IIe on that) I got a body and two lenses for around $50. Well worth the investment.

Canon AE-1
Nikon FM, FM2
Pentax K1000, K2
Minolta X700

Any of these are good choices; lot's of other good SLRs out there also. And although they are all going cheap these days, ask around, and someone may just drag one out of the closet and give it to you. I was just given a mint condition Canon AE-1 today.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back