Trying to save a B-O-R-I-N-G assignment

Discussion in 'People Photography' started by dewey, Feb 17, 2007.

1. dewey

dewey TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sooo I went out to an "airshow" at a local airport today as a stringer for a local newspaper... trouble was this "airshow" included 12 Cessna's and some ultralight aircraft. I knew it was going to be boring so I waited until the afternoon when some hot air baloons were to be launched.

It was too windy for the baloons. :(

To make matters worse the "crowd" was 19 people spread across the tarmac, so crowd shots were out. Trying to salvage the assignment I tried something different and caught these two looking at an airplane:

Nikon 17-55 2.8 @ 17mm - f/8 - 1/500 - ISO 100

[​IMG]

I also took some boring shots which I'm sure will run instead of this one, but I like it!

2. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That sounds pretty lame. At least there were airplanes there though.

3. Puscas

Puscas TPF Noob!

Wow, you really like your work don't you? Why not put in the effort? I cannot imagine there were no nice shots to be made with all the airplanes. Oh and don't take 'boring' shots, send them in and then blame the newspaper they ran your 'boring' pics. If you give them good shots, they will run those.

sorry, but I've been on the other end of this story and have seen lots of pics made by 'bored' photogs. You can even make a great picture that conveys the 'this airshow is not all that great' feeling.

pascal

4. dewey

dewey TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    LOL... Pascal needs a hug. If you knew the area I am from perhaps it would make more sense. It's a tiny little airport that is always trying to gain public support by holding these little open houses. I didn't mean to imply I wasn't enthusiastic to take the shots.

Anyway...

I did put in the effort, and I loved this shot. I was faced with a less than ideal situation and I turned that into this shot, which I think is a good one. If you don't like the shot, good for you - you're welcome to your opinion.

I think you're taking my comment about running the boring shots a bit too seriously and you missed my point of getting a cool shot.

My crusty old newsroom employee radar is beeping Pascal... lighten up. :mrgreen:

5. Puscas

Puscas TPF Noob!

I've been to things like this a dozen times, so I know exactly what you are talking about. But if you're thread is titled 'a B-O-R-I-N-G assignment', how could you NOT imply you're not too thrilled about it???:confused:

I didn't say anything about this shot. I kinda like it. Maybe it would be more appealing if the little girl would play a bigger part in the shot

again, with a title like this...

You're not afraid of a little 'feedback' now, are you? ;)

pascal

6. JimmyJaceyMom

JimmyJaceyMom TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well, I would just like to say that I love that picture. It's great and I'm sure that the ones you sent to the paper were too.

7. dewey

dewey TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    No sir... just wish the feedback was about the photo and not the title, but that's why I'm a photographer and not a reporter. I are be bad wif words. :lol:

I've been around newspapers for 10 years so I'm starting to get crusty too LOL.

8. JimmyJaceyMom

JimmyJaceyMom TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    uh oh! Play nice kids! How about renaming this thread "I got a nice shot out of an assignment that wasn't my favorite!"
    Oh, I think that would be too long. :wink:

9. photo0101

photo0101 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I really like this shot, good capture!

10. randrx2

randrx2 TPF Noob!

It seems there are 3 focal points: the plane, the nose witht the reflection, then the kid. I would think more focus on the kid would have been a good shot.