Trying to understand exposure

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by jefflesh, Aug 22, 2007.

1. jefflesh

jefflesh TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    OK, I read a few books regarding exposure and shot composition. I think that I am starting to understand this stuff the more I practice, makes sense huh... Anyways, can you guys and gals review and let me know what you think, do you think I am starting to get it? I didn't want to stick this in the critique area because I know that the shots themselves are not that exciting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Jeff

2. lostpuppy

lostpuppy TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Really like the first one, well done. As for the forest shot... I would say add something else too it. Trees rock dont get me wrong I love forests shots but im a fan of streams and rivers, puddles and broken trees. Over all nice. that farm at sunrise may look really cool :mrgreen:

:thumbup::thumbup:

3. jefflesh

jefflesh TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    lostpuppy,

Thanks for the reply. I tried to get the old farm house early in the morning but I just woke up to late and it was the only day I had to shoot. Next time I go up there I will make it a point to get there earlier. There are actually a lot of pictures I want to take around that area, I just have to find time to get away for a little while.

Thanks again.

Sincerely,

Jeff

4. subimatt

subimatt TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I liked the first two, The second one you could have a little fun and just play with in PS. You might get some interesting results. The last two I dont care for, The forest just seems a bit boring, no real subject. And the last would have been better without the blurry car.

5. jefflesh

jefflesh TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Subimatt,

Thanks for your comments. Regarding the forest picture, I was just trying to figure out the DOF for the camera and the lens. I am very new to this and DOF is something that I am starting to understand.

The car picture, I was trying to show motion. I think that the car is OK but maybe a faster shutter speed so that the car is not so blurry would have been better.

As I said, I was reading some books, "Understanding exposure" and another book on composition. These books have examples of pictures like this and I was just giving it a try.

Thanks again for your time and comments.

Sincerely,

Jeff

6. MikeR

MikeR TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The first tow would be great in different lighting. Try early in the morning or at sunset, also on a misty morning or foggy day.
    Check out the difference in the the top three shots of the church at this link http://betterphoto.com/?mrubin
    Each has a totally different look.

7. jefflesh

jefflesh TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Mike, thanks for your reply.

I know, I would really like to get a photo of that house in some fog, or at night light up by the moon or on an overcast morning. Unfortunately, every time I go up north there isn't a cloud in the sky and at night I am usually sitting around the camp fire a little intoxicated, so driving wouldn't be a good idea. The nightly camp intoxication usually leads to a groggy morning. One of these nights I will get out there!

Thanks again. Oh, by the way, I really like the pictures of the church on that link.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Jeff