TSA US: Lithium battery restrictions

I heard planes are full of fire hazards, in particular the fuel ;)

most planes crash during takeoff and landing anyway, a fire during flight is such a rare event that it does not really matter.

Right on, Alex... by 85 percent of all crashes are during the takeoff and landing phases, which are the most stressfull on the aircraft and the most prone to pilot errors.

Pilots are fantastic at driving airplanes, by the way... those guys and gals are really, really good.

I think the part of the concern is that a lithium fueled fire renders typical fire extinguishing agents useless. From my limited understanding, it is like trying putting out a magnesium fire with water.

but...

it still sucks... I can't see myself traveling with just one recharged battery. Shall we start banning lithium batteries from being carried through underground subways and tunnels as well?

The new rule says it applies to lithium batteries. Nicads presumably aren't lithium.

it still sucks... I can't see myself traveling with just one recharged battery.
One recharged battery for what? If you look at the chart, you can carry up to 25g worth of lithium batteries (~300 watt hours of power). It says "all lithium ion batteries in cell phones are below 8 gram equivalent lithium content. Nearly all laptop computers also are below this quantity threshold".

I'm not defending the rules, I'm just interpreting what they say. Most travellers won't be affected as a charged lithium battery and a spare for a cell, a laptop and a camera or two shouldn't put you over. And if you take your rechargers you just keep 'em charged up (personally I don't take spare batteries for my cell or laptop, I just take the rechargers. So I only have to worry about the spare lithium batteries for my cameras, which will be nowhere near the aggregate 25g lithium content limit). The people who could run into problems, if they actually decide to try to enforce this strictly (of which I have my doubts) are people carrying several sets of the extended life lithium batteries.

i know people travelling with 3 laptop-ish devices.. and cameras with large Li-based batteries and flashlights. and usually spares for all of this ... that would be a disaster for them

One recharged battery for what? If you look at the chart, you can carry up to 25g worth of lithium batteries (~300 watt hours of power). It says "all lithium ion batteries in cell phones are below 8 gram equivalent lithium content. Nearly all laptop computers also are below this quantity threshold".

I'm not defending the rules, I'm just interpreting what they say. Most travellers won't be affected as a charged lithium battery and a spare for a cell, a laptop and a camera or two shouldn't put you over. And if you take your rechargers you just keep 'em charged up (personally I don't take spare batteries for my cell or laptop, I just take the rechargers. So I only have to worry about the spare lithium batteries for my cameras, which will be nowhere near the aggregate 25g lithium content limit). The people who could run into problems, if they actually decide to try to enforce this strictly (of which I have my doubts) are people carrying several sets of the extended life lithium batteries.

!!!Read again!!!

------
You can also bring up to two spare batteries with an aggregate equivalent lithium content of up to 25 grams, in addition to any batteries that fall below the 8-gram threshold. Examples of two types of lithium ion batteries with equivalent lithium content over 8 grams but below 25 are shown below.
------

Many people including I travel with more than two spare batteries. I carry at least 3 spare batteries for the Epson R-D1 and an extra for the Leica. The Epson is a wonderful camera but one of the disadvantages you have to live with is that it eats through its battery power. You will also tend to carry more spares in cold weather conditions. There is just so many variables here for you to assume that since it works for you... it should work for everyone. How in the world do expect me to charge my batteries on a camping trip?

I understand that they most likely won't worry about the typical traveler BUT I travel with a pad locked 1510 Pelican case... This is for security as well as making sure I stay within the TSA limits for carry ons. On the bad side, it also causes the security folks to single me out almost each time. I assure you... if they do decide to enforce it on a single individual, it will be me.

(At least the Canon doesn't use a lithium based battery...)

Errr correct my if I am wrong but this pretty much doesn't apply to any of us. I thought the only type of batteries banned from checked luggage were those massive things used to get extra juice from laptops and pro video records.

I don't think any digital camera battery meets the banned lithium content and even then just drop it in your hand luggage. You shouldn't check your camera gear anyway.

i think we finally have to read how much Li is in our batteries ;)

There is just so many variables here for you to assume that since it works for you... it should work for everyone. How in the world do expect me to charge my batteries on a camping trip?
I was assuming no such thing. I was merely pointing out that the vast majority of people will not be adversely affected by the new rule. If you are used to transporting lithium batteries in a quantity sufficient to exceed the rule, you're obviously going to be affected. And it is an amusingly rhetorical question to ask me how you're expected to charge your batteries on a camping trip...I'm not the one who came up with the rule nor am I a proponent or supporter of it.

I was merely pointing out that the vast majority of people will not be adversely affected by the new rule.

This was my exact quote:

it still sucks... I can't see myself traveling with just one recharged battery.

Notice the first word: "I". You responded to that exact quote which means it was safe to assume you were referring to ME not the vast majority.

In fact this was the first sentence in your response:

One recharged battery for what?

A direct response to my statement above. In fact you quoted the quote above and only that line. If you mean the vast majority, you should state so. I misunderstood you because you quoted my line and only my line.

Sorry to bring this back but i have to say something lol. Just that if our camera batteries are affected by the ban, so what? If you really need to throw the batteries in your check in and when you get to where your going immediately take em out and throw em back in your camera bag. Just thought id say that its not that hard to move batteries from one bag to another :p.

Here's my understanding of some of the rules:

You can carry as many spare lithium batteries as you want if they are all under 8 g equivalent, and in your carry-on.

8 g equivalent is about 100 Wh. (Source: TSA website)

A Nikon EN-EL4A (eg for a D3) is an 11.1 V, 2.5 Ah battery. That is 2.5 x 11.1 Wh = 27.75 Wh. It's the largest lithium battery I have for still photography, and at about 2.25 g equivalent, it is way below the 8 g limit.

I can carry as many of them as I want to, as long as they are in my carry-on. As already mentioned by Garbz, Anti and others, this rule does not really affect still photographers, as long as they put their lithium batteries in their carry on (and don't allow the bag containing the batteries to be gate checked).

I'd be grateful for anyone pointing out any errors.

Thanks,
Helen

PS photogincollege: The TSA want your batteries in the cabin, where a fire can be detected and dealt with more easily than in the hold.

If you really need to throw the batteries in your check in and when you get to where your going immediately take em out and throw em back in your camera bag. Just thought id say that its not that hard to move batteries from one bag to another :p.

"spare" lithium batteries are forbidden in check-in luggage. Only installed batteries are allowed in check-in.

Most reactions

Back