TSA's new photographer terrorist campaign

FYI...

Bush intercontinental airport in Houston Texas has dedicated areas complete with parking around the perimeter for those who either want to watch the planes take off and land or even take pictures. They have been their for as long as I can remember.... I visited last year and they are still there.

My friends father used to take us there for a nice quiet time.. Those were nice times and memories.. threatened not by terrorists but by our own doing...

Ironically an airport carries the last name of the very person who help perpetuate this attitude...

OH NOES!! Hees gonna tak a picher of a airplan an, uh .... give peepls some paprcuts!!!

A terrorist isn't usually taking pictures of the aircraft. They're taking pictures of building layouts, security measures, guard positions, etc.
No, a terrorist isn't taking pictures of anything. You don't need building layouts to walk into an airport carrying a backpack loaded with explosives.

This topic reminds me of the movie "Pearl Harbor" because there is a scene with a guy with a camera, taking pictures of all the boats and the layout, etc...

FYI...

Bush intercontinental airport in Houston Texas has dedicated areas complete with parking around the perimeter for those who either want to watch the planes take off and land or even take pictures. They have been their for as long as I can remember.... I visited last year and they are still there.

My friends father used to take us there for a nice quiet time.. Those were nice times and memories.. threatened not by terrorists but by our own doing...

Ironically an airport carries the last name of the very person who help perpetuate this attitude...
Most airports I've been too also had an observation deck. I can't remember if DFW has one or not...

I don't think the airport I work at now has one, but it's pretty tiny. It does have a long enough runway for most aircraft (10,000 feet, with 1,000 foot over-runs on each end), but oddly enough - it gets used by little sport planes more than anything else.

The stuff we're working on is much larger, but they don't fly all that much. (We're talking like a 2 year turn-around time for wheels down to delivery...)

Last edited:
Back to the second poster, who has disappeared, which often happens to these people when rational thought is injected into a discussion

So now I'm "these people?" I don't appreciate that. I haven't disappeared. I've moved on to posting in more technical threads that actually involve photography on the forum since this one seems to be so polarizing. As I said in one of my other posts (which you obviously missed), I'm not going to get into a debate on worldwide terrorism on a photography forum (if I wanted to do that I'd go to the CNN or FOXNews web sites), so that was my last post on the issue. I'm only posting this response because I am being called out, which I don't totally appreciate.

I actually regret posting in this thread to begin with and I won't make the mistake of posting in threads such as this again.

Well first off I will say that terrorists photographing targets is for the most part Hollyweird fiction. In the busts of terrorists they havent found photos of the targets. For one a terrorist can now use a cellphone to discreetly shoot photos, which would be more likely.

The TSA and many others labeling photographers as potential terrorists with this type of propaganda is an afront to freedom. The whole Fatherland Security sickens me as a patriot but, what sickens me more is the amount of people who say it is for our safety, not realizing they have made themselves less safe from a government which encroaches on their very rights. What these types of system do is lead to a form of soft tyranny at forst till they gain the control, then eventually to total tyranny where the people have no rights.The Constitution was written to restrain the power of the Federal Government and the modern government does not like it. Ben Franklin said if you give up freedoms for security, then you deserve neither.

I actually regret posting in this thread to begin with and I won't make the mistake of posting in threads such as this again.
You should learn to recognize discussion in which the majority of the participants will have a different world-view than yourself... They do turn up from time to time (and eventually get locked - this thread is no exception ... eventually it will be locked down). Learning to spot them early will help you avoid reading anything that goes against the things you hold dear... I think that is something that would be greatly valued by you...

If you pretend to participate in a discussion such as this, but are unwilling to see the other side, then all you are doing is 'pretending to participate'...

I can see both sides, and I know which one I'm on...

That photographers could be considered terrorists is one of the most ridiculous things I've heard... Taking a picture of a plane doesn't make you a suspect, trying to bring a bomb onto one does.

Maybe it's becoming hard for you to tell the difference ... I think you eat up everything the media tells you if that is the case. Learn to exercise some independent thought and you will go far. Just because they say it doesn't mean it's so...

A little common sense goes a long way...

... Le sens commun est fort rare. - Voltair
(Common sense is quite rare.)

You should learn to recognize discussion in which the majority of the participants will have a different world-view than yourself... They do turn up from time to time (and eventually get locked - this thread is no exception ... eventually it will be locked down). Learning to spot them early will help you avoid reading anything that goes against the things you hold dear... I think that is something that would be greatly valued by you...

If you pretend to participate in a discussion such as this, but are unwilling to see the other side, then all you are doing is 'pretending to participate'...

I can see both sides, and I know which one I'm on...

That photographers could be considered terrorists is one of the most ridiculous things I've heard... Taking a picture of a plane doesn't make you a suspect, trying to bring a bomb onto one does.

Maybe it's becoming hard for you to tell the difference ... I think you eat up everything the media tells you if that is the case. Learn to exercise some independent thought and you will go far. Just because they say it doesn't mean it's so...

A little common sense goes a long way...

... Le sens commun est fort rare. - Voltair
(Common sense is quite rare.)

You look like my firend Lilmyer. I don't actually ever remember his first name, I just know his brother Jeremy Billmyer and I know he drinks Wild Turkey with me, so I just call him Lilmyer.

Remember the old NRA (not intended to bring NRA up for discussion specifically) campaign that went like this:

"Guns don't kill people, People kill People"

Maybe the photographic community needs something along the same line.

"Cameras don't kill people, People kill People".

"If you don't have the balls to take the picture, then don't take the picture."

Remember the old NRA (not intended to bring NRA up for discussion specifically) campaign that went like this:

"Guns don't kill people, People kill People"

Oh great, now everybody is going to have to take a camera safety course before they can get one and go use it. :lol:

Oh great, now everybody is going to have to take a camera safety course before they can get one and go use it. :lol:

No,no,no! The course will only be required for kids 12 and under...those over the age of 12 will be able to use cameras on their own, without an adult present! Yeeeeesh, dude, you're such an alarmist.:lol:

No,no,no! The course will only be required for kids 12 and under...those over the age of 12 will be able to use cameras on their own, without an adult present! Yeeeeesh, dude, you're such an alarmist.:lol:

Wrong, if you were born after 1965, you will have to take the course and certify that you can safely and responsibly use a camera. Fortunately I was born before 1965. :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: (Sadly I was born quite a few years before 1965:()

Wrong, if you were born after 1965, you will have to take the course and certify that you can safely and responsibly use a camera. Fortunately I was born before 1965. :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: (Sadly I was born quite a few years before 1965:()

Whew....I squeak in before the deadline too! Look what happens when the Federal Gov'mint gets its mitts onto things like camera safety....the nanny State camera safety course laws are enacted....next they'll be requiring us to wear seat belts and to not drive drunk....man...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back