TSL studio kit... any good?

xiangji

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm looking at setting up a home studio, nothing too fancy.

I've seen a kit by TSL on ebay and was wondering if anyone has any experience with this brand.

The kit I'm looking at is a 3 head kit (3x500watt) and includes the brolly, couple of box diffusers, 3 stands and a wireless trigger, hard case etc

It's £425 which is cheap for what you'd be getting and I'm one that always says "you get what you pay for" so for this reason I'm holding back.

Can anyone offer any advice on that company or other kits available?

Do you have a link for us to check out?

I don't know anything about the brand, so I can't help you there.

The one thing that is raising a red flag, is that they constantly refer to the power of the strobes as 500 Watts. Flash/strobe lights are not measured in Watts...but 'Watt seconds'.
It might just be a wording issue...but that's something I would expect them to know.

It said they have a GN (guide number) of 68. I assume that's 68 meters...but they don't say. For comparison, a Canon 580EX flash has a GN of 58m. So these would be a little more powerful than that. I still don't think they would actually work out to 500 Watt seconds though.

Another thing is that the modeling lamp bulbs are only 50 Watts. That's pretty low.

If this is something you plan to do professionally, I'd look for something better. Have a look at Elinchrom.

Mike covered all the things I also noticed.

To many of the lighting packages on eBay are not very good values. The sellers prey on inexperienced buyers and laugh all the way to the bank.

Buy brand name gear from mainstream sellers if you want good equipment, reliable warranties and service after the sale.

Most reactions

Back