TTL or Manual?

leelorimor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Is it better to shoot with speedlights using TTL or Manual settings? I'm doing portraits and babies at home with white seamless paper and also backdrops. Any advice??

Is it better to shoot with speedlights using TTL or Manual settings? I'm doing portraits and babies at home with white seamless paper and also backdrops. Any advice??

Manual. You can adjust the power to get the desired effect.

Are you using bare flash on camera?

For anything that you have control of all the variables, like in a portrait session, it is be best to use manual flash instead of letting the camera decide what the correct exposure should be with each photo taken.

I'm shooting off camera. I have a soft box and 2 ST umbrellas and a reflector.

In your situation, I can't really see using TTL...

Manual works pretty easily actually; it gives you a CONSISTENT flash output, which you can evaluate, adjust, re-evaluate, and then go crazy with!!! Manual works very well for me, and has for many years. Whenever I am using a speedlight with an umbrella or softbox in an OFF-camera configuration, I prefer to be in fully manual flash output control. TTL can try and "do the thinking for you", and quite often, what "it" thinks that "you want"...is not what you really want!!!

In a studio setting, manual is going to be much more consistent. When I started with flash, I really tried to get ETTL to work, but the results were anything but consistent. There seemed to be no rhyme or reason to why successive shots (of essentially the same vantage point, and subject) gave differing results. Going to manual solved most of those issues, and I could focus on balancing main and fill, providing enough reflector light, etc.

Edit: Derrel was one of the people helping me try and figure out what the flash was doing, and after he recommended to me to try full manual, I did so (relatively short learning curve) and the results were definitely worth it. However, when I'm moving around I still shoot ETTL, because ETTL gives better results than if I tried to everything manually and would end up missing most shots.

I'm shooting off camera. I have a soft box and 2 ST umbrellas and a reflector.

Definitely manual when shooting like this! Much more precise... the same amount of light every time! TTL varies too much!

I might add that ttl works great if you are running around from one room to another. It's basically an auto mode for your flash.

TTL is great in some situations - but not the one you described...

In which situations would using TTL be appropriate?

Basically, the camera makes the decisions, whereas in manual, the photographer has full control?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back