TTL or Manual?

In which situations would using TTL be appropriate?

Basically, the camera makes the decisions, whereas in manual, the photographer has full control?
You're asking someone who asked this question in March of 2013, and hasn't been seen again around here since April of 2014.

Check the dates of posts and threads before you respond, to save yourself (and others) some aggravation. :)

Basically, the camera makes the decisions, whereas in manual, the photographer has full control?
You're asking someone who asked this question in March of 2013, and hasn't been seen again around here since April of 2014.

Check the dates of posts and threads before you respond, to save yourself (and others) some aggravation. :)

I didn't notice - only joined yesterday. Hence, "joined" yesterday. Give someone new a break. How was I to know when he/she has been seen last when I joined less than 24 hours ago. Sorry to "aggravate".

I didn't notice - only joined yesterday. Hence, "joined" yesterday. Give someone new a break. How was I to know when he/she has been seen last when I joined less than 24 hours ago. Sorry to "aggravate".
Lighten up, Francis. I'm trying to help. This sort of thing happens from time to time, and someone inevitably points out to the noob what I pointed out to you, so that you can use it for future reference.

Take the chip off your shoulder and chill. :)

If you're setting up the lights, and they're a fixed distance away from your subject, then use manual. Other than if you fire your flashes with insufficient power, your exposure will be consistent from frame to frame. That's the boring example. Nothing is moving. TTL doesn't gain anything over manual.

If the distance isn't fixed, then it's still possible to shoot manual and alter your f-stop to control the exposure. This works relatively easily with a single, fixed light and a moving subject. I've done this successfully with a studio strobe and a toddler.

If the distance isn't fixed, and you have multiple flashes, and the distance between all of them and your subject may change rapidly, then TTL will help preserve what little sanity you may have left. The dance floor at a reception to a wedding can be an example of this. Subjects are varying distances from the flashes. The flashes may be moved quickly to set up for a different type of lighting. I've also done this successfully with multiple flashes and multiple toddlers.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back