Tubing for CC

qleak

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was thinking about entering this in a local camera shops photo of the month contest they usually give a 11x16 print to what they deem the best entrance. So obviously I want to crop to 11x16

Original:
DSC_5766_01.jpg

A processed version 1):
DSC_5766.jpg

I had two conflicting impulses with the crop. One part of me wanted to include the water splashing up on frame right. The other wanted to leave positive space of frame left where he's moving.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
I understand your impulse...actually both of them. What's it look like with him a bit more centered where you have some space for him to "move into" and some of the splash behind him?

Also, could be me but he seems to be darker in the processed version and the brightness of the water droplets behind him tend to draw my eye...Again, could just be me. Neat capture! I love water shots where the water is frozen in motion...very cool!

I understand your impulse...actually both of them. What's it look like with him a bit more centered where you have some space for him to "move into" and some of the splash behind him?

Also, could be me but he seems to be darker in the processed version and the brightness of the water droplets behind him tend to draw my eye...Again, could just be me. Neat capture! I love water shots where the water is frozen in motion...very cool!

Thanks for your feedback. I tried a modest amount of compression on the 1st edit to try to get the water and his face both exposed where I wanted them. I think it didn't work that well.

Here's a revision. I fixed the horizon, cropped as suggested, equalizer boosted clarity and colors and sharpness a bit, adjusted the exposure and masked his face in.

2)
DSC_5766_02.jpg

CC still welcome on any version :)

Last edited:
I like that version a lot! Keeps the focus on him and still shows the splashing water behind him while leaving space in front of him...

I like that version a lot! Keeps the focus on him and still shows the splashing water behind him while leaving space in front of him...

Again, thanks for your feedback! much appreciated :)

I'm debating about cloning in some of the tree tops that get lost by the frame rotation. That will have to wait till the morning

After further review I'm not super interested in cloning tree-tops in. It could be rather tricky with all that spray.
I found this one and I got a little interested in lightening the background:
3)
DSC_5769_01.jpg

I don't think the composition is quite as interesting in this one. So here's a further revision on the original
4)
DSC_5766_07.jpg

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I like with the trees better.
Thanks for your feedback! :)

Is there anything besides having the trees that you prefer? I've numbered the photos in my previous posts to make it easier talk about them. Here are my thoughts:

3)
PROS: Trees in the background, he's smiling.
CONS: Not a very decisive moment, the composition of the tuber seems a little too flat to me.

4)
PROS: Decisive moment captured, The tuber is more 3 dimensional
CONS: No trees so the overall composition seems a bit flat, Facial expression is maybe not the best.

I like with the trees better.
Thanks for your feedback! :)

Is there anything besides having the trees that you prefer? I've numbered the photos in my previous posts to make it easier talk about them. Here are my thoughts:

3)
PROS: Trees in the background, he's smiling.
CONS: Not a very decisive moment, the composition of the tuber seems a little too flat to me.

4)
PROS: Decisive moment captured, The tuber is more 3 dimensional
CONS: No trees so the overall composition seems a bit flat, Facial expression is maybe not the best.

I agree with your assessment. Were I the one choosing, I would pick number 4 because his facial expression is a bit more interesting...but the smile + the trees in 3 might be preferable to some/most?

I think you're to the point where it's up to you...the only nitpick with #3 is that his face seems to be a bit darker (again) and the brightness of the water distracts me (again). :)

I agree with your assessment. Were I the one choosing, I would pick number 4 because his facial expression is a bit more interesting...but the smile + the trees in 3 might be preferable to some/most?

I think you're to the point where it's up to you...the only nitpick with #3 is that his face seems to be a bit darker (again) and the brightness of the water distracts me (again). :)

Michael, Thanks again for all of your feedback :)

I had been noticing the darkness of his face since that edit. I've also tried to adjust the water down using the tones curve and masking.

5)
DSC_5769_02.jpg

Much better! I like it much better with the edits... :) Good stuff!

Nice shots. I like them both. My nit-pick is that I think it's cropped too tightly near the bottom. I personally would like to see more space between the bottom of the picture and the 'tube'. I guess in my head, I see both the guy and the inner tube as the subject. So, for me, the subject is too low/close to the edge.

Then again, you may have tried that and not liked it. :smile:

#3 because the trees give a sense of depth or scale, however I prefer the facial expression in #4 along with the tube being slighty more airborne along with his leg flying out.

Nice shots. I like them both. My nit-pick is that I think it's cropped too tightly near the bottom. I personally would like to see more space between the bottom of the picture and the 'tube'. I guess in my head, I see both the guy and the inner tube as the subject. So, for me, the subject is too low/close to the edge.

Then again, you may have tried that and not liked it. :smile:

I especially agree with you on 3,5. I don't think it's quite as bad on the others because he is airborne. I may come back and try a slightly different crop on 3,5 later. Thanks for your feedback and suggestions! :)

Much better! I like it much better with the edits... :) Good stuff!

Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated :)

#3 because the trees give a sense of depth or scale, however I prefer the facial expression in #4 along with the tube being slighty more airborne along with his leg flying out.

Thanks! :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back