TUCKED IN

Irishwhistler

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
5CfZPql2TqSmI7OA96kkqQ_thumb_a116_edit-1_Fotor.jpg

Tucked In ~ Headed out earlier this morning to scout for birds on a field we plan to hunt tomorrow. I found a flock of about two hundred Canada Geese tucked into a lee on the western slope of a hillside, most were feeding whilst out of the wind. The sentry birds kept their heads up in watch for any approaching danger that threatened the flock whilst the other birds fed, an interesting survival adaptation. It appeared that most of these birds were likely recently arriving migrants with perhaps some local resident birds mixed in.

The location of the flock was to the far southern end of this field, a section we do not hunt. If they do not leave the area later today, we may be able to call some to fly toward our decoy spread in the morning. T'is always a thrill to see these big birds in flight working toward the decoys.

There will be four of us hunting tomorrow, three of us are excellent callers. Each hunter in our group will each be allowed a daily bag limit of two birds. The geese are very keen and are not easily lured into gun range, that making good calling and a highly realistic decoy spread properly set, critical to the taking of birds. All birds are shot in the air whilst flying in the name of good sportsmanship, no birds are shot on the ground after they have landed. My retrievers TRAD and MAC will be hopeful of getting to work some retrieves.

Mike ☘️

Most reactions

New Topics

Back