tunnel (serious critique required please)

qUAntUm k

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
476002378_2eab479fb8_b.jpg

Honestly, let me know. I like the pix, and i've invested some time and energy into the final product. So, its not just a snapshot anymore. I'm looking to climb up onto the next level. But, i am a newbie, and i want (need) to know what you think! Is composition too simple, offering nothing of real interest? How about the colors and contrast, etc? Anything goes, I'm here to learn. Feel free to rip it up. All criticism is hereby invited :mrgreen:

First off, I very partial to this subject matter, so my response is going to be a bit biased.

That said, the composition is good, but you might try getting down lower next time, not necessarily for the good ol' rule of thirds, but just because in this particular shot, there is a lot of dark black ceiling and interesting lights spread out across the ground. The composition is nice, though-- it shows the environment and the colors, and it looks very peaceful.

My only real complaint is the noise. The wall on the left looks pixelated. I don't know if that's a result of high iso, a low res file, or too much post processing work? I don't even know if it's something someone else will notice. I can be kind of militant about noise.;)

Last of all, I really like this.:D

I like the contrast, but it's more than what you need. Change your levels so that your highlights still have detail in them and so your shadows aren't gone.

The white lights are distracting and there's no detail in the shadows.

Other than that, I like it.

Something more along the lines of this (with what I could do with the jpeg):

476002378_2eab479fb8_b.jpg

Nice concept, nice color. I would crop this so the far end of the tunnel off-center, that eliminates some of the excess wall and highlight. I would have liked to see much more sharpness in the far end

Very nice concept and execution. Dramatic, interesting.

4760023782eab479fb8bcccgf7.jpg

Love the colours and the contrast. Composition wise it might have been cooler from the centre of the tracks - though this looks like a live subway tunnel so I wouldn't recommend that! :D

Thank you to everyone.

@Aquarium Dreams: Your noise complaint is noted. I think it is a result of the iso used. I can't lower iso without using a tripod which i might try next time. Or maybe i can start playing with noise removal software in the near future. I will try another lower angle next time too, to see if i can capture more of the interesting light but i cant step on the tracks.

@Sw1tchFX: Thanx, I love the border. The distracting white lights are blown out on my original too. Maybe i could have grabbed a better exposure to begin with? I will keep the balanced exposure in mind next time i shoot, and see if i can capture the finer detail found in both the extremes.

@The_Traveler: I like your crop. I had played with the same idea in order to edit out the white lights. I would like more sharpness too, so will have to get that tripod out.

@theRossatron: You are right about the subway being live. So, i risk life, but more likely liberty, should i attempt to get low on the tracks. But, maybe, low where i was standing might have helped?

Thank you everyone again for all your constructive criticism and compliments too. I am inspired to make the shot better. But, i think i will reshoot, with tripod if allowed, and see if i can improve upon everythin from the level of noise up to the content and composition.

@just x joey: I have been experimenting with hdr too, so i think i will have a go. With the tripod, and multiple exposures, an hdr image should be no problem. If i can't use a tripod, I could also try with a single raw image. I agree an hdr tunnel image would look awesome. I'm on it! Thanx for the inspiration.

Most reactions

Back