Tuolumne Meadows Panoramic

HikinMike

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.imagesinthebackcountry.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Been going through my archives and I found some images from 2009. This is 6 portrait format, side-by-side. I re-processed them and re-stitched them in CS2.

I like it as it is, but would you crop this to a more "standard pano" like 2:1, 3:1 etc? If so, I would like to see your crop.

Click on the image to see it larger...

I like it and I think I would leave it myself. Boy, just a perfect reflection.

If you cropped any sky, I'd put it back.

Your profile says " my photos are NOT OK to edit" so people will not edit your pic.

Personally the wider the better suits me. Pano's never look good on a screen but a really wide printed pic is very effective on a wall.

I would be tempted to apply a bit of subtle tone mapping to enhance the details of the mountains at the back and the grass bottom left.

I know it says "NOT OK to edit", but for this one, I don't mind.

Keith - Not sure what "vibrance" is because I don't own Lightroom and I use CS2.

Thanks for comments and suggestions!

Vibrance is what Elvis Presley used to do. :)

First of all, color me jealous. Last time I was in Yosemite, a controlled burn that went out of control (see enclosed photo) cut off access Toloumne Meadows so we didn't make it there.

Second, it's a lovely scene and a lovely photo. I'd keep it as is. Panos are overdone. But this is a scene that screams out for a panoramic perspective.

Third, if you MUST crop, here's what I'd do: left third, go higher (crop out the right 2/3rds and most of the water...so you get mountains, clouds and a little water). Middle third of the photo, crop out sky and focus on mountains, trees and water. Right third of the photo, go for the sky and mountains again (cropping out most of the lake). But that's only if you must crop. I'd leave it as is.

Thanks for sharing.

Attachments

• Yosemite--Big Meadows Fire aftermath.JPG
    Yosemite--Big Meadows Fire aftermath.JPG
    908.4 KB · Views: 85
I know it says "NOT OK to edit", but for this one, I don't mind.

Keith - Not sure what "vibrance" is because I don't own Lightroom and I use CS2.

Thanks for comments and suggestions!
CS 2 has Adobe Camera Raw 3, but I don't remember if CS 2 Camera Raw has the 3 Presence sliders - Clarity, Vibrance, & Saturation at the bottom of the Basic Panel.
Adobe - Photoshop : For Windows : Camera Raw 3.7 update

The original LR also used ACR 3.

CS2 does not have clarity or vibrance options, but you can easily go into the Selective Color options menu and "goose" some of the colors one color at a time (greens and blues), and also use the curves tool to nudge the midtones, shadow, and highlight relationship to add some more contrast. As-shown it looks a bit flat to me; I understand from looking at the sky color that the lighting was not what's called a "bluebird day", yet still, I think the blues need enhancement, and the clarity or mid-tone contrast relationships, need a bit of "oomph!" added.

This is one beautiful panorama, but still needs some improvement. I think cropping off some of the bottom part so that the waterline is centered will come out better. I like Symmetry in shots like this :) And yes, it needs contrast and color boosts.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back