"Turn Off Your Shutter!"

Most digital cameras do have shutters but they are so quiet that users don't know when they've fired
They don't have mechanical shutters...as in something that physically blocks light from the sensor. That is why most digital cameras allow you to see the scene on the LCD screen in real time....because light is always hitting the sensor.

When you press the 'shutter release button', the camera just records the image for the specified amount of time...but there is no physical shutter moving around. AFAIK.

It is not his church, he simply works there. Period. He has no vested financial interest nor does he own any part of it
Well then, he would say that it's "God's church".
And why do the officiant's financial interests have anything to do with it?

From the Church's point of view, they are allowing the wedding to take place there...and the couple are making a donation to the church. It's a privilege to get married there...not a right...paid for or not.

Again, he's there to do a job as requested by the bride and groom, as am I.
He's there to perform a religious ceremony, he's not there to do whatever the clients want.

I'm not saying I like or agree with the system...but this is just what I've seen and heard from many photographers from all over the world.

It's getting to be quite common to just have a marriage commissioner perform the wedding ceremony, rather than a religious officiant. In this case, the couple are probably more likely to have a say in how the wedding is run...but it is still largely up to the person officiating the wedding. If they don't want to do what the client wants, they don't have to 'take the job'.

Back to the original post . . . Rachlynn17 . . . seems odd that he has a problem with the shutter sound & not people wondering around or flashes going off.

So, were there any problems???

One wedding I shot did not allow ANY photography during the ceremony... it was considered disrespectful...
Just did one of those; or at least that's the way it was supposed to be until the Bride & Groom talked to the Deacon (I'm not sure, but I think a hammerlock and a half-nelson may have been involved) and I was finally allowed to shoot only from the very back of the chapel - got some great 'back of the head' shots... :er:

They don't have mechanical shutters. ...

Actually a reasonable percentage of the better models do have mechanical shutters. They are often used as both the shutter and the iris. Any that have a means of adjusting the aperture have some form of mechanical blade system that snaps closed to a particuar aperture and reopens after the exposure which will make some slight sound. Its only the very inexpensive cameras that work at a fixed aperture that can function with a purely electronic "shutter".

whilst DSLRs have physical shutters at the moment I am sure that we will oneday have only digital shutters - that is to say no physical shutter - as part of the construction.
I don't think so. Firstly, because electronic shutters are more complicated than you think. Secondly, because the mirror still has to slap up and down, which also contributes to the sound.

Heck many cameras already have a silent shooting mode where the shutter curtain is lifted up and the shot taken by the sensor turning on then off.
What specific DSLRs have this functionality?

Ding Ding Ding Ding..........

epp_b wins the prize. Most of the noise is from mirror slap, not the shutter.

I'm sure he would disagree..

Actually the religious Catholic point of view is that the church belongs to the community of parishoners and not to the priest. The priest should be co-operating with the wishes of the bride and groom. I have been in situations where a knowledgeable couple told the priest that there would be photography and flash during some parts and that if necessary they would take it up with the diocese or the bishop, or move the wedding to another church.

skieur

I can't give specific DSLR makes - I have read about silent shooting mode and its featuring on some released models, but I honestly can't remember which ones!

50D and 5DM2 as well as the 1D line (some at least) might be possible models with the feature and as I understand it it still has some teething problems with it (mirror slapping down again after some shots and such). From what I gather its rather like mirror lockup mode, but because of liveview the user can still keep an eye on the subject through the LCD screen (I don't think its on the viewfinder - but I am not certain). Also some newer DSLRs (I think a to be released Samsung) are looking to have electronic viewfinders and thus no mirror slap

The wedding ended up going okay. The minister didn't say anything to me after the fact. (Most usually mention that they appreciate how respectful I was during the ceremony or something.) I did end up having a bit of trouble with "point&shoot"ers getting in my way during the ceremony. I shouldn't have to take turns going down the aisle to get a good shot, and in the middle of the ceremony it really wasn't the time to explain that to them.

What's humorous is that I JUST (10 minutes ago) had this conversation with a friend of mine who's getting married in Sept. and I'm shooting her wedding. I told her that she would need to talk with the officiant before I got there about whether I could do photography during the ceremony (which she said she wants). She insisted it'd be fine and that the only issue would be I should shoot without a flash (fast glass, medium ISO I should be good). I still told her to ask. :)

Yaaaaaa.... I have a big problem with that! It's not his wedding, it's the bride and groom's.

This is a popular misconception. Well, at least at Catholic weddings. (Sorry. That's really the scope of my background on this.)

The ceremony... the rite... the Mass... it "belongs" to the Church. Actually, the wedding is a celebration of that parish. It's not a private event.

And, there are both prescriptions and requirements concerning weddings. It's not merely a social event to be "made up" by the couple.

HOWEVER.... what is allowed of photographers will vary from parish to parish and from priest to priest. And, just like the rest of us, you'll find a few jerks in that vocation too. But it's not completely unwarranted. Have you SEEN how some "photographers" behave at weddings?

-Pete

It is not his church, he simply works there. Period.

Well... this is true, if you're speaking of the building. The physical property is considered as belonging to the bishop and the responsibility of caring for it all falls on the pastor.

But the problem is never about the building. The problem is conduct within the confines of the ritual, and THAT "belongs" to the presider. Period.

Sadly, he doesn't even have to be reasonable. He just gets to say what goes.

And, oh.... going to the bishop with a matter like this is a bit comical. He has to deal with everything from alcoholic priests to accusations of pedophilia. I doubt very seriously he'll take much time to deal with a priest who insists that photographers behave properly.

-Pete

I cant believe he thought the shutter sound was more annoying than the flash...

"We are gathered here to"
CLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICK
"witness the"
"marrage of Holly"
"SHUTUP AT THE BACK!!!"

Most reactions

New Topics

Back