Turning Digital Photos Into Prints

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by khaig12, Mar 17, 2004.

1. khaig12

khaig12 TPF Noob!

I have a 300d Canon Rebel. My problem is when i shoot digital i and want to print the image say to an 8x10 size i have to either crop the image or size the image to fit on an 8x10 sheet making the image a custom size and leaving white borders around the image. So I cannot use a standard 8x10 mat. Most of the time i don't want to crop the image. I composed the image well with my camera. Any suggestions? I have have to get custom mats all the time. 4x6's are fine because the aspect ratio matches up any other size requires cropping or scaling down to a size that will fit on the sheet. Does anybody know any place to get a large supply of custom mats or mats for digital printing? This is espcially troublesome when shooting portraits for clients and they want to purchase 8x10's, 5x7s, etc. I can't provide true 8x10's or 5x7's unless i plan ahead and zoom out enough to crop to 8x10.

2. voodoocat

voodoocat ))<>(( Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    That's the same issue you deal with when shooting 35mm.

3. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I talk about my opinion of that here. My choice is not to crop unless you want to. The image should drive the matte size, not the other way around.

4. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you know you need an 8x10 when you take the picture, you can purposely leave extra space in the composition so that you can crop it down later.

5. Sharkbait

Sharkbait TPF Noob!

Another option...

When I do reprints for clients, here's what I have on my website just above the repring pricing guide:

6. TheProf

TheProf TPF Noob!

Why dont you just buy a straight edge and a matt cutter and do it yourself. It's a lot cheeper in the long run and you can cut them to what ever size you want!