redbourn

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
best-food.info
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
garlic-chicken.jpg

Just returned from a vacation on a Greek Island and had a great time.

Friendly,warm, and generous people and I am now thinking of moving from a town to a village, here in Portugal.

Came to the conclusion that people have more friends in villages than in towns.

Back to photography.

I knew that shooting food in Pyrex would be tricky and I'm not unhappy with a first time attempt.

But what caused the turquoise border on the dish?

It was transparent glass.

Thank you!

Since your past history has been to ignore all good advice, or argue against I will merely state this is another case of you wanting someone else to do your work for you. Find a forum that babysits...there are a couple big ones and you will fit right in. To improve you have to do some basic study on your OWN time, and at your own pace. Everyone else I know did that and when it came time to ask questions you at least can grasp the basics of what is said, and even more importantly with some knowledge under your beanie you can sort out some of the chaff.

Since your past history has been to ignore all good advice, or argue against I will merely state this is another case of you wanting someone else to do your work for you. Find a forum that babysits...there are a couple big ones and you will fit right in. To improve you have to do some basic study on your OWN time, and at your own pace. Everyone else I know did that and when it came time to ask questions you at least can grasp the basics of what is said, and even more importantly with some knowledge under your beanie you can sort out some of the chaff.

I can only assume that you are undergoing some personal problems and hence your extraordinary attacking response.

Asking why the Pyrex had a turquoise rim caused your response .. ?

I wish you well and hope you surmount whatever non-photograpic problems you are going through.

Pyrex is glass; have you ever looked at the edge of pane of glass?

I don't have a sheet of glass here and drinking glasses didn't reveal any blue or turquoise.

The Pyrex did however, but only when I rotated it through different angles.

I did remember the advice about shooting simple things such a slice of bread which is why there is only chicken in th Pyrex and no vegetables.

I knew glass would be problematic and searched on-line as to how to photograph it.

The general consensus was to backlight it and have a reflector on one side at an angle and that is what I did.

I don't know if I would have got any turquoise if I'd photographed a drinking glass but I don't think so.

This is a phone snapshot of the meal with the veg. It's olive oil and not fat on the beans.

chicken thiighs-2.jpg

It's so frustrating that it seems to be so much simpler to get better photos with my phone.

Thanks for the reply.

P.S. Strange perhaps that I didn't see the blue through the viewfinder, and a pity that the Nikon D3300 can't be connected to a monitor ;-(

The first pic is at least three thousand seven-hundred and thirty-five times better than that last shot.

using tapatalk.

I agree with Braineack. That phone shot looks so unappetizing. It actually makes my stomach churn a little bit. The turquoise in the original doesn't bother me, that's what I see whenever I use Pyrex.

I see definite improvement in this shot (Pyrex chicken) the second shot with you from the phone looks like a phone shot and it is not good IMO.

As for the color of the Pyrex, Pyrex does this. One reason you could have not seen in through the viewfinder is you are not seeing what the flash is doing you are seeing what the ambit light is doing.

It doesn't bother me that much but if you don't like it I would create an desaturation layer in PS and just remove it. Good luck.

The first pic is at least three thousand seven-hundred and thirty-five times better than that last shot.

using tapatalk.

Thank you very much. I thought the first shot was an improvement on my earlier ones but felt demoralized by the first response.

I see definite improvement in this shot (Pyrex chicken) the second shot with you from the phone looks like a phone shot and it is not good IMO.

As for the color of the Pyrex, Pyrex does this. One reason you could have not seen in through the viewfinder is you are not seeing what the flash is doing you are seeing what the ambit light is doing.

It doesn't bother me that much but if you don't like it I would create an desaturation layer in PS and just remove it. Good luck.

Thank you very much. I thought the first shot was an improvement on my earlier ones but felt demoralized by the first response.

BTW - I used a softbox and not flash.

I agree with Braineack. That phone shot looks so unappetizing. It actually makes my stomach churn a little bit. The turquoise in the original doesn't bother me, that's what I see whenever I use Pyrex.

To be honest, the turquoise doesn't bother me. I actually like the little bit of color in it. I wouldn't have noticed if you didn't point it out. If it really does bother you, you can probably just jump into Photoshop, trace it out with the lasso tool and desaturate the turquoise.

[QUOTE="redbourn

BTW - I used a softbox and not flash.[/QUOTE]

I use soft boxes on my strobes and on my CFL too.
Please explain exactly the lighting you are using.

Because the way I am understanding you is you are using a photo or a light tent ? and have no idea if you are using tungsten or florescent or LED ?

To be a bit more specific to your original question, the green tint comes from impurities (ferris oxide, FeO) in the glass.

All of my Pyrex seems to have a tint to it when looking at the edges. I think that's just how Pyrex is.

As far as the photo goes, I think you did a great job and the turquoise tint isn't hurting the image. I agree with what others have said and the first shot looks much better than the phone picture. The only thing that stands out to me is maybe the DOF is a bit to shallow. I think having just a bit more of the chicken in focus would be better.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back