TURQUOISE WATER

Discussion in 'Landscape & Cityscape' started by SQUACKS, May 15, 2006.

1. SQUACKS

SQUACKS TPF Noob!

Made this picture up in Washington state in the north cascades. i THINK this is Lake Diablo but i could be wrong bout that...

i drove by it and made this picture. on the return trip the lake was a normal blue color. can't say what the differance was. this shot is unedited.

[​IMG]

2. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Intriguing aspect of this lake. I have heard about such waters before ... if I remember right, there once was a member who came by three lakes all next to each other, near enough to fit in one frame - that might have been in Cambodia or thereabouts - and one was this turquoise, too, one a deep blue and one clearly green.

Is it minerals?
    Algae?

I don't know.
    But this is a beautiful landscape photo!

3. duncanp

duncanp TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    wow beautiful, mind you i think you may ned a UV to cut out that blue haze, it would make this picture even better!

4. JTHphoto

JTHphoto TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    beautiful shot, i have never seen water that turquoise color except here on tpf occasionally... i think photogal posted some shot of some lakes in that same area a while back...

great capture! :thumbup:

5. skiboarder72

skiboarder72 No longer a newbie, moving up!

i like the haze in there, it provides some good depth to the picture :thumbup:

6. SQUACKS

SQUACKS TPF Noob!

thank you all for your comments and interest!

actually, all my lenses wear a uv filter for protection against scratches. i am certain that this shot also involved a circular polarizer.

i have heard that the color is caused by glacier silt in the water. i have doubts about it now because on the return trip i again photographed the lake and the water looks a dark blue.

i suppose it could have something to do with the reflection of light off the sky at the time????

here is a pic of the HOH RIVER on the OLYPIC PENINSULA of washington with almost the same coloration. i have a picture of it on the same day where the water looks a darker blue.

[​IMG]

7. Raymond J Barlow

Raymond J Barlow TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    very nice shots.. I have seen water like this, but I cannot explain the colours... Do you live anywhere near Dubuque ???

8. SQUACKS

SQUACKS TPF Noob!

MR. BARLOW:
    THANKS!
    I LIVE maybe 150 miles east of DUBUQUE, IA. i get close to there several times a year as i have a friend that lives around Galena, IL., which is just across the river. WAS last there back in early april. I LIKE to go Tom Sawyering out on the Mississippi river! catfishin and loafing is a nice way to spend a weekend!

Any particular reason for asking?

luck!

9. Peanuts

Peanuts TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The colours you captured in the picture really help to give an idea of how beautiful it must have been to be there in person.

It reminds me of Moraine Lake in Alberta, so I did a quick search and courtesy of Wikipedia "The lake gets its color from the refraction of light off the rock flour deposited in the lake on a continual basis."

10. SQUACKS

SQUACKS TPF Noob!

Peanuts:
    thanks for the info. i saw this coloration in alaska looking down on several lakes from a floatplane. it's tough to get good pics hanging out the window of a small plane while flying between gaps in the mountains. it's a very unstable platform and i kept getting part of the plane it the shots.

i was taking pictures mostly of glaciers as i remember. mostly what i got was mediocre shots and frostbitten fingers for the trouble...lol!

11. Raymond J Barlow

Raymond J Barlow TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    We were in Dubuque 2 times this past winter, to see and shoot the bald eagles.. you will see them on my site if you wish... we will be returning this winter when the time is right!.. We went through Chicago, then Rockton on the way there., loved the drive, and the people of the mid-west are awesome!!

12. Arch

Arch Damn You! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Great colours squacks...... well captured, looks like a beautiful place :thumbup: