Tv and flash?

Di&Z

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm trying to learn my Canon XSi. Right now I'm re-charging the battery, so I thought I'd come here and ask my first question.

How do I get flash using the Tv settings?
I've set the shutter at a higher speed, how do I also get the flash to work?
I'm using the continous feature.

I really don't know what I'm doing....help.

You should be able to activate the flash by pushing the flash button on the front/side of the camera.

When shooting with flash, you will probably be limited to 1/200, which I believe is the max sync speed. Also, when in continuous shooting mode. you need to remember that the flash needs time to recycle...which may take longer than the camera is shooting...so you may not get flash in all the images.

I really don't know what I'm doing....help.
I'm sure that the answers are all in your camera's manual. ;)

This little button on the side of your camera (left when you hold it) should help you ...

flashbutton.jpg

Though mine's an XT ... not an XTi... I hope those have the same button in that place.

Well first of all, do you know what Tv means? It's your shutter priority mode, meaning you can choose the shutter speed you want, and the camera chooses an aperture size to maintain proper exposure. A flash can fire in any mode: Av Tv Tav, M, whatever. You just turn the flash on in the menu like normal.

One thing to keep in mind though is that your flash can only fire at a certain frequency. For example, if you're trying to shoot at 5fps, your flash won't be able to charge up between shots fast enough.

You should be able to activate the flash by pushing the flash button on the front/side of the camera.

I did this and it changed the settings, to 1/200 if I remember correctly.

When shooting with flash, you will probably be limited to 1/200, which I believe is the max sync speed. Also, when in continuous shooting mode. you need to remember that the flash needs time to recycle...which may take longer than the camera is shooting...so you may not get flash in all the images.:sexywink:

I'm sure that the answers are all in your camera's manual. ;)

I'm using the manual, I thought maybe I was missing something.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Well first of all, do you know what Tv means? It's your shutter priority mode, meaning you can choose the shutter speed you want, and the camera chooses an aperture size to maintain proper exposure. A flash can fire in any mode: Av Tv Tav, M, whatever. You just turn the flash on in the menu like normal.

One thing to keep in mind though is that your flash can only fire at a certain frequency. For example, if you're trying to shoot at 5fps, your flash won't be able to charge up between shots fast enough.
Got it, thanks.

Time value?

I forgot to mention...one of the best things you can do to improve your photos...is to never use the built-in flash. ;)

I forgot to mention...one of the best things you can do to improve your photos...is to never use the built-in flash. ;)

Please explain?

I have a flash that is suppose to be compatiable, although I haven't slid it on. It's from my 35mm.

When a flash is fired from the same position as the camera, the light hits the subject very 'flat'. It lights up the parts that we can see and doesn't give us shadows that we can see. Not to mention problems like red-eye etc.

When your light comes from a direction that is not the same as the camera's angle, the light creates shadows and modeling, which brings out texture and gives the subjects a 3 dimensional look to them. For example, 98% of the photo you see of people/models in magazines etc, will not have used direct on-camera flash for the primary lighting...it just doesn't look good.

A good hot-shoe flash that can tilt and swivel really helps because you then have the option to bounce the light off of walls or ceilings.

Check out THIS site for more information about using a flash off-camera.

Most reactions

Back