Twilight Angel

RickyN29

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hopefully some redemption from my other pic up for critique which bombed!

Did a little shoot tonight... I have been experimenting with a new technique for me, really dark scene, but keeping the ****ter open longer and using a faster film (1600). The pictures look almost too surreal though, or like photoshopped, when in fact, these are how they came out naturally.

So I am asking, does this technique work for you? Or does it look too surreal? (perhaps not surreal at all?)

I am considering doing an entire collection of different people, different areas, but with the same technique. Your words will affect whether or not I go through with it.

Also, I used a flash with a softbox attached, does the lighting on the subject look ok?

Here is my favorite:
IMG_0993good_filtered.jpg

Canon Rebel 350d F/8 2 sec 1600 28mm

If you care to see more of the set, they are at http://www.fallen-tree.com/tracey/tracey.html (two pics there don't belong, upload error)

Many thanks

Cheers,

-Ricky

It is your birthday today!

So, not only in honour of your birthday, I will tell you that your "new technique" works fine for me here and that I like the somewhat eerie look of this photo.
Maybe it has become just a tad too light for a nighttime photo, but then you wanted to show your "angel" (for how long did she have to stand there without moving? ah, just 2 seconds, that is ok), so there.

Others can critique better than I can, also with regards to technical aspects and all, but I thought I'd take the advantage to wish you a Happy Birthday here, too :).

Beautiful camera work! I would expose it a tad (1/3 stop) darker. I say go for it. I would stick with this park since you have the lighting down. The people and or person in the frame is going to give the series life. With that in mind consider that looking at the back of someone's head is a little tough.

Awesome! Thanks for the support everyone. I have another 'model' (heh, friend that isn't camera shy) and we will be doing a shoot saturday. Hopefully different location, but definitely same theme.

One more question, would it be possible to expose the lamp correctly, as in, not blown out? So perhaps you could actually see the lamp instead of just a splash of light?

I am guessing the long exposure time needed will make this impossible. Closing the aperture up results in long star trails (or whatever they might be called!)

Thanks again!

I really like what you've done!!!

Would like to see the "angel's" face!

Maybe just an optical illusion or me, but the main lampost and some of the left trees look like they're leaning right?

Ya know, I see that too now. That is odd, there should not have been too much distortion with the lens I used, I didn't put on the wide angle converter until some up close shots.

The whole reason for the title of Angel really came from this shot, I kept the shutter open with a small aperture, and using a flash gun, walked around with her and stobed her in different spots, it looked somewhat 'angelic' to me. I thought her face showing in the original shot would almost be too distracted, as she is not the focus, more of just another element.

Here was the other shot:
IMG_0970good_edited_filtered.jpg

On a side note, I went back the next week with another subject, got all setup and ready to shoot, and then I realized something....the fountain was off! I might have just been lucky that one night because apparently it only runs in the day time, and the first shoot was about 7-10pm! I was sooooo mad!!!

Awsome! Makes me want to get back into shooting night scenes! As for the fountain, I'd ask the management if they could work something out for you. You never know when they'll decide they want to help a guy out... The worst that can happen is you get a "no." Go for it!

I like the first one better... and I like the blown-out lamp. The stars created by the smaller aperture draw my attention. I'm guessing that you closed the aperture down so the shutter would be open long enough for her to move around.... if that's the case, have you tried multiple exposure with a wide aperture? (For double exposures, just reduce exposure one stop, either shutter speed, or apterure).

Again, great shots!

Most reactions

Back