Twisted Stalk with Droplets

Laurence

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been doing my usual roaming in the local rain forests (Olympic Peninsula) and thought the water on the ends of the Twisted Stalk (Streptopus roseus) make a nice image.

I had some 126 film left in the Zeiss Contaflex 126, so I held a close-up #3 filter in front of it. The old 126 film is only 28x28mm, but can do pretty well with today's films.

Zeiss Contaflex 126
126 cartridge film - 200ASA
1/125th and f:5.6
TwistedStalkFullSunlight.jpg

I cannot help myself - I simply love this photo. Could it be because the droplets are so much in focus? Is it because they so nicely look like beads? Is it because of the green??? My only nitpick is that tiny patch of green at the top. I find that distracting. As to the noise ... not sure if it is noise or compression artefacts. But that, too, takes away from what I assume is a tack sharp image in the original size.

When you photograph in low light and up the ISO, do you ever use NeatImage or any other noise reduction programme afterwards to clear the noise?

I cannot help myself - I simply love this photo. Could it be because the droplets are so much in focus? Is it because they so nicely look like beads? Is it because of the green??? My only nitpick is that tiny patch of green at the top. I find that distracting. As to the noise ... not sure if it is noise or compression artefacts. But that, too, takes away from what I assume is a tack sharp image in the original size.

When you photograph in low light and up the ISO, do you ever use NeatImage or any other noise reduction programme afterwards to clear the noise?

LaFoto, I'm starting to think you like green!

Actually, the "noise" is film grain; this was scanned from 126 film. However, I still could possibly use NeatImage - I'm not sure if it would treat film grain the same way as digital noise, though.

The only other thing I can think of, is that the negative is very small, only 26x26mm, smaller than 35mm film. Perhaps that has something to do with the grain.

Thank you for stopping by and looking! I am please with the sharpness of the old Sonnar 85/2.8.

I am please with the sharpness of the old Sonnar 85/2.8.

Doesn't he say right before you, Jeff??? :wink:

Oh, and Jeff: any news? Good news? For the Meet-Up thread???

I missed that, must be a different Contaflex 126 that mine, did not know they made am 85mm

The other looks ok, I’ve got an appointment today

I missed that, must be a different Contaflex 126 that mine, did not know they made am 85mm

The other looks ok, I’ve got an appointment today

There are different Contaflexes, of course, but only the Contaflex 126 uses casette film from the 70s. The 85mm Sonnar is a Zeiss lens common to the Contaflex 126 line.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back