Two 50s, do you see a difference?

Ron Evers

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
In the country 60km north of Toronto, Canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I shot the same subject with two different 50s, a Minolta 50/1.4 & a Sears 50/2.0. I had too much light to shoot either wide open so both were shot @ f2.8, ISO 100 (lowest for my camera) & 1/4000s (fastest for my camera.

1. Minolta 50/1.4 ($39 on eBay)

P1020280smM1.jpg

2. Sears 50/2.0 ($11.50 on eBay)

P1020282smS2.jpg

The bokeh looks cleaner on the Minolta.

The foreground flowers seem to be in a little sharper focus to my old, worn out eyes.

The minolta shot looks a little darker than the Sears which I think is going to affect views. The bokeh on both looks about the same to me, with the darker Minolta looking a little cleaner only beacause its a little darker in the highlight areas. As for the sharpness they both look about the same (again the little bit more darkness/contrast difference in the minolta might be making it look a little sharper).

Overall I'd say they are pretty much on par when viewed at this image size - fullsize might show some differences in quality of the image.

Hard to compare like this because who knows how much is lost due to being on the web but it doesn't matter that much. Sears never made cameras or lenses.

Now, I don't remember who all made them for them but one company that did was Ricoh until they decided to put out the gear under their own name. And Ricoh made some very decent gear.

Minolta made some exceptional lenses including for Leica (yes!,) and that is why I shot Minolta for 25 years. But that doesn't mean every lens they made was the greatest.

the Minolta has slightly smoother bokeh. It'd be really interesting to see these on FF.

Thanks for the replys Folks.

I must confess I did not see a difference & even had difficulty seeing it when pointed out. You folk have an eye for detail.

Its more interesting to see shots at wide open.. that's where the design of the optics are really pushed. I've compared Super Takumars, SMC Takumars, with Sears brands (which are a hodge podge of rebranding). Once stopped down, the differences are difficult to see. Once you shoot wide open, you will see the SMC maintain a cleaner and sharper look with better control over CA.

Once you shoot wide open, you will see the SMC maintain a cleaner and sharper look with better control over CA.

I started with that intention but my Camera would not accept the volume of light from these lenses. I ordered a step up ring today so as to use my neutral density filter on both lenses. Maybe in two weeks or sooner in poor light. ;)

I hope you don't mind, but I thought it easier to compare this way. The images are slightly different, so it isn't a perfect cut. I was curious about this as well. I can't really see a difference between my Minolta 1.4/1.7 unless its a really low light situation.

It look to me as I was doing this the bokeh was ever so slightly smoother in the minolta, and ever so slightly sharper. Slightly. Though, I could be biashere, because all I shoot when I shoot film is Minolta.

TPF01.jpg

They don't actually make the stuff.... they sold rebrands originally manufactured by a variety of companies. There was a time that Sears (and their famous catalog) were one of the biggest resellers in the U.S... hence... the rebrands. You also have to know the time period we are talkin about. It was a time that Chinese products were cheap and crap. It was a time that Japanese products had serious quality issues. (Some Japanese cameras/lenses had those gold stickers that indicated that it was inspected prior to export.) The American named products were the biggest and strongest names associated with quality. Again.. this drove rebranding under American names such as Sears, Heiland, and Honeywell.

I do know early on, many of their cameras were made by Asahi Optical of Japan (eventually spawns Pentax) but rebranded as "Tower" cameras. I have a few of those in my collection.

I believe Mamiya, Olympus, and a handful of Japanese products were rebranded to American "Sears". I have a few M42 "Sears" in my possession as well.

Boy have times changed....

Side note.. I haven't found proof but I have a feeling my home (built circa 1925) was also a "Sears" home. They sold everything in those catalogs!!

Most reactions

Back