Two Artistic Moon Shots

A

astrostu

I know this isn't an astrophotography forum, but I thought I'd post these two shots, anyway, since they're pretty cool shots of clouds and the moon. The first one was NOT processed in any way, it's straight off the camera, and shows the moon, clouds, and Jupiter (star-like object in upper right). The second was taken during a night lab I taught when we were trying to look at features on the moon, but clouds were not cooperating.

I'd appreciate any/all feedback, but I'm not looking for specific critiques (keeping with the nature of this forum). :mrgreen:

moon_rainbowclouds_big.jpg

moon_throughclouds_big.jpg

Those are great!
I have always wanted to take shots of the moon but am always waiting till the last minute to leave for work and can't (crazy graveyard shifts!)

The moon has been spectacular here the last couple of late nights and/or early mornings when I've been leaving for/coming home from work. I have tonight off so I think I'll head out and take some shots after dark.

Thanks all for the compliments. I hadn't thought about it before, but I was wondering if I were to print it and have it matted, what mat color and frame color would you recommend?

Hey, astrostu, I don't think we have met and shaken hands before, have we? Welcome to ThePhotoForum. Sorry, I wasn't around much in the past couple of weeks (busy travelling, meeting other forumites and such).

a) You may post any photos here as long as they meet our guidelines (that all newcomers will have read thoroughly, I am just sure, haven't they ;) ;) ;)), and there is nowhere being said that photos of the moon and the stars would not be allowed ;) (else where would our PlasticSpanner post his astrophotos?) and

b) I like both photos very much, the rainbow colours of that funny cloud underneath the moon in the first pic as much as the haze in front of it int he second.

Frames ... I always find it is only possible to decide on a colour/type/making of a frame WITH the enlarged photo in hand. And you must put the frame sample to it and decide. I could IMAGINE that some of the blue/purple in the rainbow-cloud pic might be a good idea, but in the end I would need to SEE it to make a decision.

Thanks, LaFoto. I didn't do an introduction thread, I just started to post, so it's okay.

I have tons of astrophotos (I'm an astronomy graduate student), but I go to an astrophotography forum for that. I just through I'd post a few of them here and get some feedback.

I'm thinking of not printing the first, but the second one (the first is too anti-symmetric for my tastes for printing purposes). I'm asking for advice because I think a standard white mat would take away from the moon in the center, so I'm thinkin' of a dark ash or black, and maybe a dull metallic frame (e.g., brushed metal).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back